rMBP clicking when picked Up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dazlicous, Sep 20, 2013.

1. dazlicous, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

Lately my 2 month old 15" rMBP is making a clicking noise from the left side from underneath when I pick it up, sounds like the bottom cover near the air vents.

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

is it some kind of metallic click? I have the same on my two month old one. Apple told me its of the spring mechanism and unless i have any performance issues related to it then the noise is normal.

3. dazlicous thread starter macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

Yeah sounds like that just a bit of a click from the left side when you grip it to pick it up

4. borgqueens macrumors member

borgqueens

I have read somewhere here in the forums that some clicking problems can be fixed by unscrewing the screws and then screwing them tightly on again. But you need get a rMBP toolkit to do that.

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well my mac has been serviced twice by apple. One time the engineer said its normal the second time at a different AASP the engineers found it not normal so they sent a video to apple both said the noises is from the spring locks on the logic board, they cannot do anything nor replace the logic board unless I have performance issues. I had a polite talk and told them after plonking a huge deal of cash on a top of line macbook i do not feel great to have a clicking noise, they told me that they tried their best but they cannot do anything unless apple authorizes them to do so. I gave up on it, we have no apple stores here so things are slightly complicated, maybe you may have luck at a genius bar.

6. BL4zD macrumors 6502

I have the same issue but I didn't realize something wasn't broken. As long as it's some internal mechanism I can live with that unless it bothers me enough to take it into Apple store.

7. klover macrumors 6502a

This is a pretty common issue that most probably never notice or care about. I've owned 4 rMBP 15" and each of them made the same kind of light clicking noise when the chassis was lifted.