rMBP closure for IR, EFI, and lag...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bill-p, Nov 9, 2012.

1. bill-p macrumors 65816

So I figured I'd start an "anti"-thread that goes against the norm here, which is either complain about issues on the rMBP, or praise it non-stop. I'm doing the opposite. I'll talk about the issues, and then I'll tell how I resolved them.

So... what are the issues?

1) Image Retention: it does exist. I was very skeptical, because my LG display did not show it at all for a long time. Then 3 months passed by, and magically, I finally saw it. Though just a tiny little bit. I did not think of it much since I had worked extensively on that day (same Eclipse window open for 7 hours straight). If anything, I thought my eyes were burned with the Eclipse window and that I was seeing things. But then it got gradually worse, and by around 2 or 3 days later, I could clearly see imprints of my work windows left in Mission Control. Not good...

So... IR is real, and I'm not going to claim that it happens to all LG displays, but... it did happen to mine after exactly 3 months. Please keep that in mind. I was warned, but I did not heed the warning.

2) Performance reduction via EFI: I have seen this personally myself. I actually had a period where I had to constantly restart EFI every few hours just to be able to keep performance up to par in iOS Simulator and Android Virtual Device. It also brought my computer to a crawl whenever I had to view anything in AutoCAD or Maya. Needless to say, it was a very huge show stopper.

Scrolling in Safari and XCode were also affected as well. That's the lagging part. So EFI bug does exist, and it does actually affect the overall performance of the computer.

Now, for the solution:

1) I did not bring my rMBP to the Genius Bar for a whole week immediately after seeing IR because I had work I needed to finish. As soon as I saw a small opening on my schedule, I immediately rushed to the Genius Bar. "It'll take up to 5 days since we are bombarded with iMac hard drive replacements", said the Genius that I conversed with. No problem. If that was what it'd take to fix a "problem" (it really is a problem since you can't "un-see" what has already been seen). I picked the computer up today. No IR. No dead pixel. Checking panel manufacturer returned this: LSN154YL01001

So it looks to me like Apple is indeed replacing rMBP displays with Samsung panels that don't have IR. I'd recommend anyone considering an exchange for their rMBP to just ask for a display replacement instead. By the way, I did not have to specifically ask for anything. I talked to the guy, told him that I saw residues of my workflow after some hours of work, and he proceeded to set me up for a display replacement. He didn't even do any check on it. Looks like the store I visited (Los Gatos, CA) already dealt with a good number of this. But either way, I'm very happy with my rMBP now, and I'm very thankful to the helpful Genius (and tech guy who did the replacement) for making the experience a brief and effective one for me. I was on a very tight schedule.

But bottom line: it was a hassle-free, easy, and timely replacement. I don't think I could have asked for more. By the way, the replacement checked in at approximately $700, so I think that's something to take into account for those of you wondering how much it'd cost to replace a Retina display once you break yours outside of warranty.

2) Somehow, the EFI bug just... vanished on my computer. That was before I sent it in to the Apple Store. Don't know how I did it, but I can't seem to be able to reproduce it now.

Some afterthoughts:

I did not believe in some of these issues at first, but now that I have seen it all, I can confirm that they do happen. If it happens to yours, don't go and exchange the next 14-20 computers. Just get the display replaced. Seriously. It took me 1 try.

As for the EFI bug, since... I don't get it anymore (hopefully it won't resurface sometimes later). That's as much of a solution as I can get, I guess.

For those wondering, the new Samsung panel is actually very comparable to the LG panel I had before. I can't really detect any change at all in white balance, color temperature, contrast, saturation, etc... everything seems the very same. It's almost as if they took the old display and calibrated a new display to make it look as close to the original as possible. Not sure if that's the case, but I honestly can't see anything different.

Except for brightness. The new Samsung panel seems to be one notch brighter. It's blinding to look at at maximum brightness.

2. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

Mines in with apple right now getting the screen replaced. Your post sounds promising that I'll get a Samsung display (fingers crossed)

I've never ever had the EFI bug show itself on my rMBP and I have all the latest updates too, so hopefully it stays like that when it comes back.

3. Macral macrumors member

How long did the screen replacement process take in the store?

4. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Sorry, I don't get something... Did you end up paying 700$ for the replacement or was that just an additional info for those who don't have a warranty anymore? Since your issues started 3 months after you got the notebook, you should have still been within the 1st year warranty period.

If the first year ends, rather buy AppleCare and then send the notebook in a few days after. Still cheaper than paying for a replacement without warranty.

5. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

I got some questions to the folks doing screen replacements. First is the replacement screens already on hand at the Apple Stores or do they need to order them and wait for them to come in prior to replacing? Second how is folks so sure that if they did a screen replacement that they would get a Samsung? isn't things going with whatever the store has on hand if they do infact have the replacement screens on hand and not actually ordering them? Third was a Samsung screen ever made for the 13" RMBP model? Or were these only for the 15" model? I was unaware of the 13" model coming with Samsung displays. Also if Apple is doing replacements with Samsung screens does this mean Samsung produced screens for the 13" model if they never did when they were originally released?

6. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

1. My replacement had to be ordered. I took it in last weekend. They said it would take about 10 days give or take. So im still waiting on its return.

2. Nobody is certain what replacement they will get (LG or Samsung) but i will post back if I get a Samsung screen

3. I think the OP is talking about the 15" rMBP

7. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

I have Samsung display with a burned pixel (maybe it's a closure of pixels on the same spot, since noticing a single pixel on the Retina display is almost impossible), and I have no balls to go and replace it (I don't want to get LG display).

8. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Thank you for clearing up that LG displays are NOT better than Samsung displays. Most people on this forum are like LG has better color reproduction and saturation. I myself had both and I could say that they are pretty much on par.

9. bill-p thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually, I called in on the 5th day, and the rep I talked with said that they literally just started working on the computer at the time.

About 1 hour later, I got a call back telling me I could come pick my computer up. So it looks like about 1 hour. But I had to wait 5 days because they had a lot of iMac hard drive replacement orders.

No, I didn't have to pay anything. $700 is just the amount written on the receipt as an FYI to me in case I'd like to know how much it'd cost for an out-of-warranty replacement.

As you said, getting AppleCare for the next 3 years is going to be far cheaper.

Judging from the looks of things, they already had a bunch of the screens at the Apple Store I visited. Otherwise there's really no way to ship a screen from China in that short an amount of time.

I wasn't sure if I'd get a Samsung. But I had a feeling I would... because many others had the same experience. In fact, I have not even heard of anyone getting an LG display after replacement.

I don't think anyone has found out a way to see the display model number on the 13" rMBP, so your guess is as good as mine regarding Samsung 13" rMBP...

And I'm not sure the same thing applies to the 13" rMBP since mine isn't 13".

Sure! And to be honest, I was surprised that there actually is no difference at all in color reproduction, saturation, contrast, etc...

It's like they pre-calibrated the new replacement to look exactly the same as the old panel.

I know from experience that there were slight differences in different panels (even from the same vendor/manufacturer) in my past MacBooks, but this time... it's just so similar that it's unbelievable.

10. mrvectrex, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012

mrvectrex macrumors newbie

Just to be sure:

I have modest image retention which becomes visible five minutes after running this. Is my new rMBP qualified for free replacement?

And what happens to my data if I decide to take it in?

Cheers

11. bill-p thread starter macrumors 65816

Like I said, the Genius I talked to at the Apple Store did not even do a test. He simply reads "image retention" in my description of the problem (from the appointment note) and as soon as he saw me, he offered to replace the screen immediately.

So I think yours is eligible by default. You just gotta bring it in.

And all of my data is intact after the replacement. They simply replaced the entire top panel.

12. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

They can't just replace the display because it's glued to the frame, so they change the top completely.

13. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I took my rMPB in last Monday and it was ready for pickup on that Friday - so 4 days. They quoted me 3-5 days, so it was right in the middle of that range. I did get a Samsung screen as a replacement for my LG (which also started showing IR after almost exactly 3 months).

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It may be leftover bias from the IPS vs PVA days. In terms of color reproduction, I have to wonder how they're really testing this. People have a tendency to draw such conclusions from perceptual experience, which isn't always reflective of hardware capability.

15. Daniel L macrumors 6502

The screens are very similar but in order to actually notice the difference they have to be side by side. In my observation, the LG did look better but it could be due to a myriad of reasons.

16. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I am really wanting to get a 13" Retina. Has this problem actually been reported on the 13 inches? Maybe Apple has learned and is making them with the samsung displays? Would really like confirmation on this. Also, is it possible to buy a second hand that's still under warranty and still get Applecare? This is the route i'm looking to take as it's ridiculous the price Apple charges.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I meant that a lot of initial perceptions can be questionable. Display is washed out compared to another would be a common one. Display is yellow compared to my iphone. With stuff like that it can be difficult to separate the genuine concerns from the noise. Let's say someone feels one looks washed out by comparison, yet the other has blocked up or clipped shadows(as in losing detail). Which will they perceive as better? The sharper cutoff in the blacks might make it appear higher in contrast even though that is a negative display trait. It's quite common in cheap desktop displays, which was why I used that example. I don't typically nitpick panel choices as long as the display is good. The concern here would be image persistence. I've never seen even the slightest impression of it in new displays. It's something that typically creeps in much later.

18. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

I'm going to get my screen replaced also..

I have an LG Display and first i saw a little "burn in" when i have used Visual Studio in Windows a whole school day, but when i rebooted into OS X nothing as i could see, but then i can see a dead pixel, so im gonna get my display replaced for a new one, so i hope you are right about the Samsung are better!
    They say i takes around 10-14 days here in Denmark, but if i was lucky only 7 days..

7 DAYS?!! I have to use a plastic computer with Windows that sucks !? It's fans are like Airplane, and it gets VERY hot in 10 secs!

Im hope they will repair it fast.........

19. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

The only real difference I remember now were that the LG had a bluer tint while Samsung had a yellower tint. Doesn't make one better than the other though I say.

20. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

Well my Mac is back and wouldn't you know it - it has a Samsung screen now.

Happy as can be!!

21. bill-p thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, just as I suspected.

I think Apple is well aware of this "issue" at this point, and they are silently changing all affected rMBP to Samsung panels.