Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kiju

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I was wondering if the rMBP has any direct competition in the notebook market right now. By direct competition, I mean a comparable notebook with similar specs.

I know the SP3 vs. MBA wars are waging but does the rMBP get called out often?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
What other computers are legally running Mac OS? I doubt there is another laptop doing 4K via TB2.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I was wondering if the rMBP has any direct competition in the notebook market right now. By direct competition, I mean a comparable notebook with similar specs.

I know the SP3 vs. MBA wars are waging but does the rMBP get called out often?

The 15" dell xps is very similar in specs. Even has a 750M and 512 SSD. Has a retina-level screen with displayport 1.2 for 4k support.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
We're starting to see some thin, high powered, high-res screened PCs show up. Though competition isn't very fierce. Windows 8.1 still doesn't handle high res display too well. PC makers are still all about packing as much stuff as possible in the ********* cheapest case they can get away with and sell it as cheap as possible because they have so much competition as they're all basically selling the same computer.

Notable exception being the Razer Blade. Which is a bit of an oddball. The price on the original version was decent. They upgraded the screen to a high-res screen which brings the price higher than the rMBP and sees little benefit as few Windows app support hi-dpi and the graphics card can't handle most recent gaming titles at the high-res.

I really don't like Microsoft but I can't deny they're at least trying with the recent Surface and are hopefully showing other PC makers that they shouldn't race to the bottom.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
Razer Blade. Not direct but it's definitely a killer. High-price, sleek form factor, premium feel, and high power.

Quad-i7, GTX860M, up to 512SSD, 8GB RAM. 1800p screen. If only Apple would try making something like this, with better execution.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
+1 on this. If I were ever going to go back to windows, this would be the PC I'd buy.

The thing that turns me off to this is the ridiculous, huge glowing green snake logo on the lid. Otherwise, it's a nice looking machine.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
X1 Carbon is what I crossed-shopped with mine, but the HD4400 graphics and only 8GB of ram was the downside. Has WWAN and the touchscreen though, as well as the OneLink Pro dock which also charges.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/#techspecs

I get that Lenovo is more cost conscious but the lacklustre choices for even integrated graphics has always turned me off from purchasing one or recommending them. The thermal footprint is nearly identical between the 4400 and 5000... so it really doesn't make sense why they don't at least offer the 5000 as an option.

ND40oz

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2011
I get that Lenovo is more cost conscious but the lacklustre choices for even integrated graphics has always turned me off from purchasing one or recommending them. The thermal footprint is nearly identical between the 4400 and 5000... so it really doesn't make sense why they don't at least offer the 5000 as an option.

The Lenovo was actually more, it was a tad over $2300 compared to $2000 for the rMBP. I don't know why they don't offer processors with Iris graphics, but that was my main decision for not getting any of the Windows offerings, just run Fusion 6 on my rMBP and call it a day.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
The thing that turns me off to this is the ridiculous, huge glowing green snake logo on the lid. Otherwise, it's a nice looking machine.

Saw one today - Microsoft Store seems to have them now so you can look at one. Its black finish is too much of a fingerprint/smudge magnet and the 2 mouse buttons up front are a bit short on the premium feel. Otherwise, its literally a rMBP clone for the most part in its entire design.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Saw one today - Microsoft Store seems to have them now so you can look at one. Its black finish is too much of a fingerprint/smudge magnet and the 2 mouse buttons up front are a bit short on the premium feel. Otherwise, its literally a rMBP clone for the most part in its entire design.

Yeah, I agree. The overall shape and profile are pretty much exactly the same. It kind of falls short on the ports looking good, and the top, including that logo ruin the feel of the rest of the machine.

It doesn't seen to bother people as much as me, but that logo is just terrible to me. It looks like a cartoony joke, and I'd feel like a 14 year old pulling that out in public.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd probably go with Lenovo or Asus if I wasn't going to buy a MBP again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.