RMBP config

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macran, Apr 1, 2013.

1. macran macrumors member

How good go you think is this configuration for day to day usage and a couple of VM's VMware fusion mostly and want to do windows parallels and i am not sure if this config would be enough.I am a first time mac user.:apple:please advise

2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB Flash Storage

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Great, just perhaps not enough GB for the SSD. If you partition 100 GB for the VM, you only have 150 left for OSX. I recommend getting at least 512 if you plan on running VMs.

3. jmdMac macrumors regular

Since VM's mainly rely on a good amount of RAM, I would say the 16GB is the most important part of the spec. All the processors on the last few generation MBP's are easily good enough to handle multiple VM's.

Good luck

4. macran thread starter macrumors member

How about having the VM's on external HD. I have a 1TB Western digital passport hard drive.Does putting the VM's on the external hard drive slows down the performance ,how significantly it differers running VM locally or on an external Hard drive?

Thanks a lot for your advises.I appreciate it

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

5400 RPM HDD vs SSD? Significant performance drop. Should not be too bad though...

6. macran thread starter macrumors member

It's an additional 300$ :(:(

7. Jhowland macrumors member

You could probably bump the processor down to the 2.4ghz one. I'd take 2.4/16/512 over 2.7/16/256 any day of the week unless possibly I was rendering video.

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I would suggest you check out the OWC upgrade. When I did the maths a few months ago, you could get the 256GB Apple SSD, AND the 480GB OWC SSD (which is supposed to be slightly faster), AND an external USB3 case for the original Apple SSD all for basically the same cost as upgrading to the 512GB SSD from Apple.

The 2.7GHz upgrade is less important than RAM or SSD space in pretty much all scenarios.

9. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

FYI ... 1 vCPU in a VM uses up one core on the pCPU. Although the CPU scheduling has gotten lots better in the past few years, it's still important to be aware that when you have a VM with multiple vCPU in it, the VM will suffer a performance hit if the number of vCPU in it is equal to or greater than the total number of cores available on pCPU.

Best practice is to try to limit the number of vCPU's in a VM to something less than the number of cores in the pCPU. Nothing is going to stop you from going beyond that, you will just not be running your VM(s) (and host) at its most optimal.

With that in mind, I usually recommend that for people that will be running a multi-vCPU VM, or more than one VM on a laptop, that they go with a quad-core CPU in that laptop, which puts you into 15" MBP territory. Stay away from the dual-core CPU's.

10. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

even the base model would have been way more then enough
    or even a macbook air