rMBP connect to old cinema display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GD.Diego, Sep 5, 2012.

1. GD.Diego macrumors newbie

As I could not find a thread helping out with my situation, I would like everyone's opinion on connecting my almost purchased rMBP with my existing 23" cinema display.

I didn't want to spend the money on a new TBD, but I wanted to know if there were going to be any issues connecting my new rMBP with an old cinema display? What adapters will I need? Do you recommend it?

I understand there will be downsampling, but I realized that I could live with having the resolution be at what I had before with my old 2006 MBP and cinema display setup. I mean it can't be any worse than that right?

I figured I would use it for that and whenever I had to do work on the go I would have the benefits of having a retina display at my disposal. I just thought I would hold up on getting an updated thunderbolt display if one does come out.

Thanks everyone.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It should work just fine. I think what you would need is a standard Mini-Displayport to DVI adapter. Apple also sells a Dual-Link DVI adapter but I don't think that's necessary unless you have one of the 30-inch cinema displays.

As far as I know an external display shouldn't have any downsampling. It should behave just like an external display hooked non-retina Macbook Pro.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Yes it will work fine with any monitor that supports DisplayPort or HDMI, subject to the maximum resolution of the monitor.