Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GD.Diego

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Philadelphia
As I could not find a thread helping out with my situation, I would like everyone's opinion on connecting my almost purchased rMBP with my existing 23" cinema display.

I didn't want to spend the money on a new TBD, but I wanted to know if there were going to be any issues connecting my new rMBP with an old cinema display? What adapters will I need? Do you recommend it?

I understand there will be downsampling, but I realized that I could live with having the resolution be at what I had before with my old 2006 MBP and cinema display setup. I mean it can't be any worse than that right?

I figured I would use it for that and whenever I had to do work on the go I would have the benefits of having a retina display at my disposal. I just thought I would hold up on getting an updated thunderbolt display if one does come out.

Thanks everyone.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
It should work just fine. I think what you would need is a standard Mini-Displayport to DVI adapter. Apple also sells a Dual-Link DVI adapter but I don't think that's necessary unless you have one of the 30-inch cinema displays.

As far as I know an external display shouldn't have any downsampling. It should behave just like an external display hooked non-retina Macbook Pro.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Yes it will work fine with any monitor that supports DisplayPort or HDMI, subject to the maximum resolution of the monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.