rMBP cracked glass

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tarjan, Dec 23, 2013.

1. tarjan macrumors regular

Ugh, my dog knocked my laptop to the floor, so of course the glass cracked. It still "works" but the lifespan is not going to be long as more of the screen becomes ruined.

So I need to replace the panel. I've seen a bunch of places offer the replacement for 500, apple for 700+, but you can buy the lcd itself for under 200. I've seen ifixit and it is... unclear.

Anyone done it?

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

If I recall correctly the LCD and the cover glass are fused together, which is part of the reason it is an all or nothing repair.

3. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the accident.

I would recommend replacing the whole top panel (around $500+). The glass is fused to the LCD display and it's very hard to remove the two from the top panel. Even if you are able to remove it all, I'm not sure whether you'll be able to find the glass for sale.

Apple will fix it for you properly and you'll be sure about the labour and the parts. If you buy the whole top panel, you'll have to install it yourself, which can be a bit tricky if you don't have much hardware experience.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Raptor

4. tarjan thread starter macrumors regular

The screen is definitely available, from many resources (though I need to make sure whomever is the supplier that the product is not another LG unit). The fusing, from the ifixit article on it, is just sticky tape. That being said, it is strong enough that when you try to remove the display the glass cracks. Which is.. not terribly important to me with a cracked screen :)

http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/IpsiasKyh6ZqGVSr.huge

that may not come through, if it doesn't just go to ifixit and go to the 15" retina and find the display disassembly.

That being said, it might be a heck of a lot harder than it looks. If so, I'd like to talk to someone who has done it before.