rMBP Cracking/clicking sound along bottom case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marddin, Jul 25, 2012.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

Hey, So after using my retina for a few days I've noticed that when you grab the machine on the left or right sides near the air vents the back case makes a cracking/clicking sound if you apply normal pressure. It happens 95% of the time and on both sides. I believe this may be due to loose pentalobe screws on either side.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Do you think radio shack will have pentalobe screw drivers on hand to just use for a few seconds to maybe try and fix?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

search is your friend. There have been many posts on this. I believe people have taken it to apple and they've fixed it pretty easily.

3. deerfaced macrumors regular

Yep, apple genius sorted mine this morning, and now its absolutely perfect.

He mentioned it occurs because they're not using 'tabs' to secure the bottom plate in place before its screwed in, they're using magnets...

4. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

So they just tightened some screws or what? Would a simple genius bar appt suffice?

Thanks for the useful response!

5. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Yes, they just tighten screws. A simple appointment and 10 minutes will do.

Or buy a special driver yourself. Doubtful about radio shack though.

6. KitzelFox macrumors newbie

I bought a screwdriver from iFixit for around 12 dollars I believe. I had the same problem, and in my case, the screws were actually too tight. Tightening made them worse. I found that by opening up the backplate and then "reseating" it back on and applying equal amounts of torque (not too much, just so the backplate stays on) to each screw seemed to get rid of the problem almost entirely. It's still not perfect, but it's to the point where I don't really notice it or let it bother me.

Hope that helps! :)

7. deerfaced macrumors regular

Yep, he took it in the back, for about 5-10 mins, took the screws out, removed the bottom, put it back on and re-screwed it in.

I wouldn't have thought you can just hand it to anyone in store (staff i mean ;)) - I'd make a genius appointment.