rMBP - creaking/grinding noise when bottom cover pressed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tadziak, Oct 14, 2012.

1. tadziak macrumors regular

Hi,
    I was just wondering if you also experience a nasty grinding/creaking mettalic against plastic type of sound when you apply a bit of pressure on the bottom case of your Retina Macbook Pro (especially under the Macbook Pro logo, in the middle) - for example when carrying it and holding in that area?

It sounds pretty annoying and disturbing, almost like the processor is getting crushed whennever i do it!

I would be much obliged for your feedback.

2. RussellJones macrumors member

yes took it back yesterday and exchanged it. was way to annoying, i think they all do it slightly bit this was an extreme case

3. DTKblaster macrumors member

I can hear a very slight rustling sound, like those metallic pan scrubbing sponges, but only if I almost press my ear to it in an absolutely silent environment.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Channeling Steve Jobs... "So Don't Hold it like That!" :D

It's possible, ur deforming it just enough to push turning fan blades (close tolerance) into its housing.

5. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

No, that's not it. And I have it on two rMBP - it seems more like some screws problems. Checked it also on a friend's Retina - it's quite much less noticeable.

6. montr macrumors newbie

I had creaking on my rMBP and I could not stand it. The problem was that some of the bottom screws were not tight enough and the computer was flexing when on my lap.

I ordered a screwdriver kit (Pentalobe 1.5, Torx T5). First, I removed the bottom cover (Pentalobe 1.5) and tighten all the screw inside the rMBP (Torx T5). I put back the bottom cover tight and now the computer is not flexing and creaking like before.

Note: The two screws next to the screen hinge are slightly shorter than the 8 other screws.