rMBP creaking - more than a cosmetic issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slirak, Oct 10, 2012.

1. slirak macrumors newbie

So, after a while my otherwise perfect (LG screen!) rMBP started creaking. The pattern is usually that once it gets warm, if I lift it up, holding it just with one hand on either side, it'll creak once or twice, then sort of settle and it wont creak again unless it's gotten significantly cooler.

Nothing strange about that pattern, metal does expand from heat. And every other unibody MBP I've owned has been the same, just to a smaller extent. I'm not even annoyed by it.

But since it does creak quite a bit and since I know some of you folks have taken your rMBP into service because of this, I was just wondering if there's any reason to do something about it, except if it annoys you? I mean, can anything get mechanically damaged if you just let it creak? I would guess: no. But seeing the amount of posts making a big issue out of this has me wondering if I'm wrong.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Not really, I don't think so. I suppose it would depend on how bad the creaking is and where exactly it is happening.

For the most part I would say that it is a nitpick though.

3. slirak thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, well, that's what I figured. Just started to second guess myself. Anyone who actually took their rMBP to service because of this who'd like to chime in?

4. br3nt macrumors member

I probably will go to the new store in sweden, as soon as school and work arent keeping me up 18h a day :p

over $20k for a piece of metal, I don't want the sounds reminding me of my HP elitebook.

If you can live with it, leave it.. you have 1 year warranty. 3 if you got apple care, so dont worry :)

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I would try fixing it yourself. I ended up waiting over an hour for the genius to "fix" mine. He ended up stripping a screw, and switching one of the long screws with one of the small screws.

I reseated it with the screws in the right places and my creak seems to be gone. Take care to tighten it in a criss-cross pattern, and try to use equal force on all the screws.