rMBP dead? Not turning on.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nednarm, May 21, 2013.

1. nednarm macrumors 6502

So I was just browsing the internet and my rMBP's screen went black and turned itself off. I now cannot turn it back on! It's been plugged in to the charger all day, so the battery definitely isn't dead - also the green light is showing.

I've tried holding down the power button for about 30 seconds, holding down shift,ctrl, alt and power to try and reset SMC but nothing happens. Been about 30 minutes now and still nothing.

Is this indicative of a logic board failure? It's obviously still under warranty so shouldn't be an issue if it is. It's a 15" 2012 base model (256SSD, 8GB RAM).

The screen went black a couple of times throughout today but I thought nothing of it, assumed I just needed to SMC reset. Was this an early warning sign telling me my logic board was on it's way out?

I've booked myself in for a genius appointment tomorrow anyway.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like something failed, computers should never go blank, and so far my rMBP never exhibited this. Good luck

3. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

I've had that happen to one of mine at work. We were able to physically unplug the battery connector from the logic board for about 30 seconds, plug it back in and it was good to go.

You will need the special pentalobe screwdriver to open up the machine though.

The Apple store should be able to get you taken care of as well.

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Hopefully they will resolve it for you, if your board is bad they will order one for you, but most likely will be without your mac a few days