rMBP Delivery - Dent

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Paradoxum, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Paradoxum macrumors newbie

Hello everyone

After my old 2008 pre-unibody MBP passed away, I decided to get the new rMBP. I had to wait without having another Mac or PC to work on.

Today it finally arrived....and its got 2 dents on the flip side :mad:. That thing costs CHF 2500.-- and then its got dents?! Thats soooooo annoying. Because of the issue I haven't even turned it on yet. Its just here right beside me in its white box and laughing at me.

However, the problem is, i cannot wait for another 2 weeks for a new rMBP to arrive. I need it for work and university!
    My question is: Can I just go to an apple store - or the premium reseller since we have got no proper AppleStore in our town - hand it in and get a new one in return?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Paradoxum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats exactly what I did but since its already close to 9 pm here in Switzerland there is no way someone would answer the phone.

I thought maybe someone here might know about how they proceed with this kind of issues. Guess I just have to wait for tomorrow.

Thank you anyways :).

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

As far as your reseller you have to check with their replacement policy. It seems you purchased online though so I am assuming that it would have to have been ordered through that specific reseller in order for you to have any luck with a replacement.

5. Paradoxum thread starter macrumors newbie

I purchased it online through apple. So returning it wouldn't be a problem.

So, i decided to turn it on anyways and look how it works. Turns out its got the SSD from Samsung and a Samsung panel as well. Its got no dead pixels, it doesn't lag when scrolling and overall its just super fast.

Tough time to decide wether to take it back or keep it. Is it possible to just buy/get another aluminum back cover for it?

Regards

P.S: I will try to post pics asap.

6. JNaut macrumors member

The bottom is dented? I'm fairly picky about things but that wouldn't bother me in the least bit. If you have a great screen, my advice would just be to deal with it.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

You would accept a NEW computer with dents in it?

8. AirThis, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

AirThis macrumors 6502a

If you aren't eligible for an edu rebate, return the machine and go buy one at Digitec. They're cheaper than Apple. They sell the base rMBP for 2299 Swiss francs. Normally they have the model in stock. Check their website.

Edit: even if you are eligible for a student rebate, I would call Digitec and ask them if they will sell it with the student discount. They have several configs of the retina in stock.

9. Raunien macrumors 6502

I had the exact same problem as you a couple weeks ago. When my macbook pro came, it was damaged. I called applecare and I told them that I wanted a replacement. I also added that I wouldn't be able to last a long time without a computer. They were able to ship out the replacement and let me keep my original until the replacement came. When I received the replacement, I shipped back the original.

Call customer support/applecare and let them know.

10. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Like the person above mentioned, they will send you a replacement and let you keep yours. Now the question is, if you got one with an LG screen with IR could you just switch the bottom plates around and keep the one w the Samsung screen?

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If Apple Stores or AASPs work the same there as they do here in the US, you should be able to just have the bottom panel replaced.

12. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

RETURN IT you paid a hefty price for it, ask them for a Samsung panel...

----------

why???

13. Paradoxum thread starter macrumors newbie

Good morning everyone

Thanks for the numerous replies.

I called Apple and within 3 mins they agreed on sending me a new rMBP without me having to send the dented one back before the new one has arrived.
    Thats just perfect :).

Concerning the discount: I am indeed eligible for an edu discount. Thats why i got it through "Neptun". In the end I paid aprox CHF 2250.-- with an 3 years apple care protection plan included.

Greetz

14. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Great news! Thanks for your feedback. I was wondering how they would handle this.