rMBP Display Flicker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jomiv, Oct 14, 2012.

1. jomiv macrumors newbie

Is anyone else having this problem?..

I've gone through two rMBP's (this one being my second one) and the first one was a dead pixel, and then soon found out that it also had a bad battery. Was advised to return the computer and get a new one..

Now I'm on my second one, and was just having a grand time until the screen started to flicker.. I would take a screenshot if I could but it decides to do it when it wants too. The only example I can really give of this would be the fact that the MacRumors logo is ending up in the middle of the screen.. I must note a few things though

I haven't ran a diagnostic on that computer yet. I should, but it's stupid late and I work tomorrow.
    I usually am on a website that shows a lot of GIF files, don't know if that could be a problem.
    The OS is up to date, and all updates are installed.
    And flickering seems to match with my typing.. If I leave it alone, it will do it on it's own.. But not as often.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same issue (And a possible solution would be really nice but I'm thinking taking it to the Apple store is my best bet.). I don't know if having my computer running on my battery is the problem.. But it's been on the battery only before, and it worked fine a day or two ago.. Next day it does this.. I'm seriously starting to get sick and tired of stuff like this happening to my almost 4K machine.. I need this bad boy for school, and the fact that there is very little problems with it but all seem to be larger than average problems.. But I demand perfection for something that I am paying off for the next 4 years of my life.. It's kinda pissing me off..

2. hybrid62 macrumors member

After a month and half it finally started to have the flickering issue. When i first got it had a nick on the right hand side of the palm rest area but didnt send it back due to me living in US Virgin Islands and would have had to pay for shipping both ways and i needed it urgently with my line of work.

Now the screen is flickering and is getting worse every week to the point i finally called apple care and they said they would fix it and also mention about the nick on the right hand side so hopefully they replace the casing cause i explain to them my situation of still having to pay for shipping and now some work is piling up due to not have a laptop.

3. JD92, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  4. jedolley macrumors 68000

I don't think it would show up on a screenshot. Screenshots only show what it supposed to appear on the screen and would not display screen issues and defects (i.e. dead pixels, IR, etc.)

5. hybrid62 macrumors member

I have a LG screen in my laptop thats having the issue.

6. jomiv thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to call Apple this morning, but now the screen isn't even bothering to flicker anymore for some weird reason. I left the computer on most of the day due to a heavy download.. I have a LG Screen if I'm correct.. Trying to find the terminal command and can't find it. It seems like a high frequency one though. Most of the time it showed whatever was at the top of my screen and flickered down to the middle of it. Over the course of the night it got worse, but when I decided to shut it down for a few hours.. Poof. Stopped happening. I still am going to call Apple though.

Yeah, you're right there. Can't post a screenshot of a dead pixel when your screen is working perfectly fine

Might it be just the screens made by LG?

I know that I bumped my computer against a piano one time, and got at least a 1mm (or smaller?.. It's pretty damn small) litte knick on it, but the screen was still perfectly fine and wasn't giving any hassle whatsoever after it. It wasn't even a hard hit, so I doubt that something so small could even do so much damage. My mid 2008 MBP got hit by a fan and still ran like a champ.