rMBP, display imperfections... Request replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by splitpea, Jun 19, 2013.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

My refurb rMBP (13", feb 2013 model) arrived today, and the first thing I did was inspect the screen and run an image retention test.

The results are that after a 15 minute burn-in period, there was moderate image retention that faded to minor after about 5 seconds, barely detectable after 60 seconds on the mid-grey background, but it's still there 30 min later -- although subtle and only visible on a dark solid background.

Secondarily, at the very top and bottom of the screen, for about 15-20 physical pixels (7-10 doubled pixels) high there is a very slight blueness going on and off at about 3/4 inch intervals. It looks as if there's a minor issue with the backlight smoothing. Additionally there's a little blue cloud at the top center, about three times that height, visible only on certain backgrounds with the menu bar hidden.

All of this most noticeable at lower brightness levels, with darker solid desktop backgrounds. If it weren't for the alternating patches I'd think it was an optical illusion. Honestly, I wouldn't notice this in daily use, although they're kind of bothering me now. They're subtle enough to be impossible to capture on an iPad camera.

I really don't want to go through the replacement rigmarole (nor do I really have time for it), but the image retention is a bit frustrating.

Should I bring it in for a replacement? Will they give me one? What are the chances that the replacement has the same issues? What would you do?

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well i would take it in and have them take a look at it.
    But could you post a picture for us.

3. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would if I had a camera capable of capturing it. But the iPad camera is grainy, and I can't seem to hold it steady enough anyway.

4. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well in that case do visit the genius bar and tell them the issue. Let them run their tests if they do not see anything when you hand it over. All the best and do keep us updated

5. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brought it in -- it clearly failed the test. (I don't know why they don't run these diagnostics on refurbs before putting them in the refurb store.) They said it'd be 2-3 days to complete the replacement, but they finished it in 24 hours.

Have to find time to pick it up; will make sure to re-test it before leaving the store!

6. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

Never wait with things like this. If the device is new Apple usually replaces things just like that.