rMBP Display Scratch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xdxdaustin, Feb 17, 2013.

1. xdxdaustin macrumors regular

I think a piece of grit got lodged somewhere somehow and mad a grain sized/shaped scratch on my screen! Is there anything I can do?!

PLEASE HELP

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You can fix it buy buying a new display assembly. Any attempts to remove the scratch will just make it worse.

3. xdxdaustin thread starter macrumors regular

With an RMBP, doesn't that mean you have to get a whole new display?

4. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Double check and make sure it is surface and not inside the screen.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yes. On the rMBP the clamshell and glass ARE the LCD - it's all one fused unit to make it thin.

Apple charge £450 for a 15". Don't know how much the 13" is - I guess around £350-400

6. xdxdaustin thread starter macrumors regular

How do I do that? Just run my finger over it?

7. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

As long as you haven't physically damaged the computer Apple will still honor the warranty to it. The screens do on occasions get dirt and grit under the display causing scratches like this. Like I said, as long as your actual glass is not cracked you are ok. Take it to Apple Store :)

8. robin0627 macrumors member

I encountered the same issue and I got an about 3cm straight scratch on the screen on my rMBP. It only appears under very strong flash light so I am deciding whether I should get my rMBP to the apple store for repairing.:(:confused:

9. xdxdaustin thread starter macrumors regular

Did you accidentally cause the scratch? Or was it the result of a design flaw which would make it their fault? I have heard of keys scratching the screen before but it would be obvious to see if it was the keys or some accident of the end user. Post a picture!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for myself, I just brought my machine to the Apple store. Turns out it was actually a dead pixel and they replaced it no hassle, no issue.

10. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

just wait till you have the image retention severe enough and you get a totally new screen.
    or if you're technically inclined, just buy another retina laptop and swap the screen yourself, and return the brand new laptop with the scratch screen back to them. chances are they will never look at the screen as long as you put everything back neatly the way it is.

11. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Lol there is no "design flaw" that's caused you to scratch your screen. Geez.

You've scratched it - take responsibility for your own damn actions instead of blaming Apple.

12. robin0627 macrumors member

Here is the photo. I never let any sharp things, including my fingernails, approach my screen. So I don't thing the scratch is caused by a key. I occasionally use the black cloth given by apple to remove the dirt on the screen. Also, I recently installed a moshi keyboard protector and use it to cover the keyboard when the lid is closed. I don't know whether the scratch is a manufacturing flaw or caused by the protector.:(

Attached Files:

13. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Maybe exploding pixels?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4447193

EDIT: This is more for the OP. A thin scratch is probably something different.

14. robin0627 macrumors member

I don't think so. I am sorry that I did not label my photo

Attached Files:

15. xdxdaustin thread starter macrumors regular

I think you might be SOL on that one :(

16. robin0627 macrumors member

So it's a manufacturing flaw?:( Then I will take my rMBP to the apple store and see it's under warranty.

17. Macasaurus macrumors newbie

Probably your keyboard protector, maybe something was on it when you closed it.

It is not recommended to put anything between the keyboard and screen when closing a RMBP.

18. robin0627 macrumors member

I know but those scratches cannot be avoided as dirts, hair and so on always stick on the keyboard and I am not aware of it :(

19. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

The issue is that a piece of dust is much more likely to inflict damage with an extra layer between the screen and the palmrest or keyboard.

Trying to have Apple fix this would be somewhat dishonest, in my opinion, though I've pulled worse. I wouldn't blame you for trying, though, because I feel your pain.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're afraid of scratches, I would suggest getting a screen protector.

21. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Can you even tell its there with the screen on?

22. intothepolis macrumors regular

23. robin0627 macrumors member

Absolutely not :) but it's normal to expect that the machine should stay as flawless as it should be at that price

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, I don't expect an $200k car to stay flawless, so expecting a computer to be stay flawless is rather fruitless.

25. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You could pay £10000 for it. If you scratch it, you scratch it.