Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I think a piece of grit got lodged somewhere somehow and mad a grain sized/shaped scratch on my screen! Is there anything I can do?!

PLEASE HELP

You can fix it buy buying a new display assembly. Any attempts to remove the scratch will just make it worse.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
I think a piece of grit got lodged somewhere somehow and mad a grain sized/shaped scratch on my screen! Is there anything I can do?!

PLEASE HELP

Double check and make sure it is surface and not inside the screen.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
With an RMBP, doesn't that mean you have to get a whole new display?

Yes. On the rMBP the clamshell and glass ARE the LCD - it's all one fused unit to make it thin.

Apple charge £450 for a 15". Don't know how much the 13" is - I guess around £350-400

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012

PLEASE HELP

As long as you haven't physically damaged the computer Apple will still honor the warranty to it. The screens do on occasions get dirt and grit under the display causing scratches like this. Like I said, as long as your actual glass is not cracked you are ok. Take it to Apple Store :)

robin0627

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
I encountered the same issue and I got an about 3cm straight scratch on the screen on my rMBP. It only appears under very strong flash light so I am deciding whether I should get my rMBP to the apple store for repairing.:(:confused:

xdxdaustin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut, United States
I encountered the same issue and I got an about 3cm straight scratch on the screen on my rMBP. It only appears under very strong flash light so I am deciding whether I should get my rMBP to the apple store for repairing.:(:confused:

Did you accidentally cause the scratch? Or was it the result of a design flaw which would make it their fault? I have heard of keys scratching the screen before but it would be obvious to see if it was the keys or some accident of the end user. Post a picture!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for myself, I just brought my machine to the Apple store. Turns out it was actually a dead pixel and they replaced it no hassle, no issue.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
just wait till you have the image retention severe enough and you get a totally new screen.
or if you're technically inclined, just buy another retina laptop and swap the screen yourself, and return the brand new laptop with the scratch screen back to them. chances are they will never look at the screen as long as you put everything back neatly the way it is.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Did you accidentally cause the scratch? Or was it the result of a design flaw which would make it their fault? I have heard of keys scratching the screen before but it would be obvious to see if it was the keys or some accident of the end user. Post a picture!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for myself, I just brought my machine to the Apple store. Turns out it was actually a dead pixel and they replaced it no hassle, no issue.

Lol there is no "design flaw" that's caused you to scratch your screen. Geez.

You've scratched it - take responsibility for your own damn actions instead of blaming Apple.

robin0627

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012

Here is the photo. I never let any sharp things, including my fingernails, approach my screen. So I don't thing the scratch is caused by a key. I occasionally use the black cloth given by apple to remove the dirt on the screen. Also, I recently installed a moshi keyboard protector and use it to cover the keyboard when the lid is closed. I don't know whether the scratch is a manufacturing flaw or caused by the protector.:(

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 193

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Here is the photo. I never let any sharp things, including my fingernails, approach my screen. So I don't thing the scratch is caused by a key. I occasionally use the black cloth given by apple to remove the dirt on the screen. Also, I recently installed a moshi keyboard protector and use it to cover the keyboard when the lid is closed. I don't know whether the scratch is a manufacturing flaw or caused by the protector.:(

Maybe exploding pixels?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4447193

EDIT: This is more for the OP. A thin scratch is probably something different.

robin0627

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
I don't think so. I am sorry that I did not label my photo

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 149

Macasaurus

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012

Probably your keyboard protector, maybe something was on it when you closed it.

It is not recommended to put anything between the keyboard and screen when closing a RMBP.

robin0627

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Probably your keyboard protector, maybe something was on it when you closed it.

It is not recommended to put anything between the keyboard and screen when closing a RMBP.
I know but those scratches cannot be avoided as dirts, hair and so on always stick on the keyboard and I am not aware of it :(

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
I know but those scratches cannot be avoided as dirts, hair and so on always stick on the keyboard and I am not aware of it :(

The issue is that a piece of dust is much more likely to inflict damage with an extra layer between the screen and the palmrest or keyboard.

Trying to have Apple fix this would be somewhat dishonest, in my opinion, though I've pulled worse. I wouldn't blame you for trying, though, because I feel your pain.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Lol there is no "design flaw" that's caused you to scratch your screen. Geez.

You've scratched it - take responsibility for your own damn actions instead of blaming Apple.

If you're afraid of scratches, I would suggest getting a screen protector.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Absolutely not :) but it's normal to expect that the machine should stay as flawless as it should be at that price

No, I don't expect an $200k car to stay flawless, so expecting a computer to be stay flawless is rather fruitless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.