rmbp display - should i be worried?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phyx, Jan 12, 2014.

1. phyx macrumors member

Hello! I noticed this phenomenon out of pure chance when i turned my display off. I had been studying and had an external light to read a book infront of my computer when i noticed this when the display dimmed itself down.

[​IMG]

the display as its normal is full of dust particles that can't be seen in normal use when the display is on. but whats makes me a little frightened is that when the display lid is closed its actually touches the keyboard and chassi. it seems to me like it can cause cracks in the screan and/or scratches, etc. or am i just taking this to seriously? or is this a problem?

I have 80km / 50 miles to nearest authorized apple repair shop. (its not an apple store). So i won't be taking the bus just for that cause. Can i contact apple support and mail the picture to them so they can see it or what is your thoughts?

Kind regards,
    Phyx

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is that dust on the inside or outside, i.e., did you try cleaning it?

3. phyx thread starter macrumors member

Yes its dust on the outside of the display. And I have cleaned it before. But thats not my concern. My concern is that you can see that the display glass is touching the keyboard and the chassi because it has 'dust off' some of the dust when i close the lid. My concern isn't the dust itself, but the fact that the display comes in contact with the keyboard when the lid is closed. I don't know what effect it can have on it, but I have read threads that states the display glass it fragile so my concern is cracking and/or making scratches on the display glass when i close the lid.

Kind regards,
    Phyx

4. maflynn, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's some serious dust, I'd be a little more concern about the dust especially cleaning it, since the display is plastic not glass.

anyways, as for the display touching the keys, I think there very tight tolerances going on which is why apple doesn't want skins on the keyboard. If you're worried take it to apple to make sure the alignment is correct.

5. TjeuV macrumors 6502

That is pretty common yes, nothing to worry about. But man ! Clean your screen!

6. Serban Suspended

There are 2-3mm between the screen and keyboard when the lid is closed. So if you clean your screen at least 1/month i dont think there will be problem.

7. phyx thread starter macrumors member

Alright thanks. When you have your display on i can't see the dust on the screen, it was when it dimmed down and had an external light from the side that made the dust visible for the eye. But of course i dusted it off after i saw how much dust it was on the screen :)

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I give my screen a gentle wiping every day or two with a soft, clean, freshly laundered terrycloth towel. Suggest you do too. I'm no neat freak but dust, fingerprints and smudges or spatters of any kind on my screen or keyboard just drive me bonkers. I see friends' machines with goo on the screen and glop on the keyboards, and it takes all my restraint to not go on a mad wipe-down frenzy. Good thing your screen isn't in my neighborhood, I'd probably break into your house to have at it.

9. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Haha, your computer will be grateful :D :apple:

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Next time dust it before taking a picture to avoid the posts ;)

btw, I just dusted mine in a knee jerk reaction :D

11. Godlikes macrumors newbie

The dust allows the screen contact with the chassis to be seen. If you remove the dust you won't see anything until it scratches (or grease transfers). In fact, I'd recommend putting dust on the screen JUSt to check for this kind of screen contact.

This has actually been happening since the first Unibody Macbook Pros were released (I tested 13 and 17 inches). It was the keyboard only though so the chassis (metal on plastic) is a much greater concern.

Poor design IMO, again, evidence that these machines are essentially built to degrade.

Beggars belief how a billion dollar company can screw up like this, unless they did it on purpose.

12. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Our last Dell computer screen was touching the keys, and after 3 years we had the screen replaced under warranty because the screen had wear marks/scratches from the keys.