rMBP Displays are easily damaged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macNwindow, Feb 14, 2014.

?

Have you notice and damage on your screen?

1. Chipped

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. Scratched

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nothing; clean and fresh.

69 vote(s)
    93.2%
  1. macNwindow macrumors member

The screen on these rmbp are really easily scratched/chipped. For the mobility of these laptop, we would expected some durability from the screen too! I have had my screen chipped more than 4 times throughout owning this laptop. I take great care of my machine. Meaning i carry it in a laptop sleeve and clean my machine regularly. A grain of salt between the palm rest and screen will ruin your display just like that.....

I am a college student and i take my laptop around to lecture for not taking... that is the most traveling ill do with these things and the display gets damaged just like that.

2. holyindian macrumors 6502

I was reading something similar on another forum. did u try a screen protector? I am sure there are good ones out there, i did not like the moshi ones out there, it ruins ur retina experience as they are matted in finish.

3. macNwindow thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking about all the cases and screen protectors out there when i first bought my computer, but then i thought about how i like using the machine the way it was designed for. I mean, if we had to buy a case, screen protector, keyboard padding, palm rest cover, and a sleeve it would ruin the unique design with overwhelming protection.
    It is like buying a iphone with a thick iphone covering over it. I dont see the point in paying for a thin device just to make it thicker and heavier with protection.

4. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

My screen display is perfect. Not a single scratch on it. I put a ShaggyMax cloth over the keyboard before closing the lid for peace of mind, but other than that, I don't have any screen protectors on it - I'm very careful with where my laptop is placed and what goes next to it. My laptop is as pristine as it was when I took it out of the box and I intend to keep it that way.

5. leman macrumors 604

Well, don't salt your laptop, it's not a steak # I am totally careless with my rMBP and it's by far the most durable laptop I have ever owned. I don't put salt or stones on my Palmerston, maybe that's what I am doing wrong.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Not one bit of damage on my 13". It's in a Speck case, the screen is cleaned regularly, and I don't use it around food and drink.

I have never had any damage on any of my MacBooks, and they are in constant use.

7. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yeah yeah, swap to vege salt its not as harsh :eek:

8. 5to1 macrumors regular

I don't think its that the screens are weak, its the fact there's less clearance so they are more likely to be sandwiched against abrasive objects when closed. Whereas previously a grain of salt wouldn't be in contact with both the screen and keyboard/palm rest when the machine was closed.

A grain of salt is actually quite strong and abrasive, if you rubbed a few against any screen there's a good chance you'll do some damage. Check the clearance on your machine, given there's so little designed clearance, if its slightly out from spec that could be your problem. As an ultraportable user for years, I've had that problem in the past with screens picking up marks from the keyboard.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's less protection in front of the display panel in the rMBPs then the older cMBP. Knowing this, I tend to be very careful with it, and so far being 1.5 years old, my caution has paid off - no damage.

10. macNwindow thread starter macrumors member

I like your humor, but i'm always careful.

My backpack is pretty heavy, and it could be that it is being sandwiched when i move around, causing the clearance to not be as good.

11. Freida macrumors 65816

Thats why I still use the protective film that came with it. :)

12. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

They are as durable as any other Apple machine that came before it, that valued sleekness over durability.

If you want durability, buy a Thinkpad.

13. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

if retina display is TOUCHSCREEN, i will put the screen protector.

14. Xerotech macrumors 6502

I always put a cloth between the screen and keyboard. My screen is flawless, I always throw the computer in my backpack and it's in very good shape. :)

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

no screen issues. I have a speck case and no add-on screen protector. the big issue is the user - some are just hard on their equipment.

16. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I usually clean my keyboard and screen off with a piece of 100% silk, it's great for cleaning screens and thin enough to keep between the keys and screen.