RMBP + DOCK vs MP + Hackintosh?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mancocapac, Mar 17, 2015.

1. mancocapac macrumors newbie

I am planning to buy a computer for programming. I need to compile frequently and do some 3D animations (mainly Blender + Unity), I do Augmented Reality apps and other stuff. I will also use parallel.

I am considering one of two options:

1) RMBP upgraded to max RAM+i7+256gb (I can store my stuff in Google Drive) + HengeDock.
    2) Basic MB + Hackintosh (i5 4690k + 16gb Ram + EVGA GT 740). I was thinking on using an RDP like JumpDesktop to do the heavy stuff in my Hackintosh.

Both of them would have near the same cost and I already have an external Monitor + keyboard/mouse.
    My situation is that I have to walk a lot with my laptop and I suffer from arthritis so carrying the less amount of weight is gold for me, that's why I was checking out the new MB. Would an RDP run smoothly in the new MB? What do you think

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the simplest approach will be option #1.

I'm not knocking hackintoshes but they can require a lot of work and any upgrade to a new version of OSX can break it.

Also, keep in mind, remoting into your hackintosh on a 12" screen is not ideal,

3. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Don't do the Hackintosh route. I'm very good at building computers and actually ran a Hack for a couple of years in a dual boot with Windows. It ran OK but always required tweeking when new updates came out. Quite frankly it was a pain in the *** keeping it running well. Occasionally there was software compatibility issues with sound and some devices.

My advice is buy the real thing and you will be content for years or by the Hackintosh if you want to fiddle and tweak about every 6 months.