rMBP durability

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yth, Sep 28, 2012.

1. yth macrumors member

hey, so the rMBP doesn't look too durable. if i drop it, and it ends up looking like a frank gehry building, i'm guessing the warranty won't cover it?

and since jonny ives glued everything to the case, it seems like a simple drop could cost $3,000, or maybe just a couple 1000s of dollars? is this about right?

the reason i'm asking is because i'm looking for a new macbook, but i don't want to be an idiot and get a first-generation model that is poorly designed..

i know people are going to say to not drop it, but for me, this is virtually inconceivable. for example, i've dropped my current mbp maybe 2 or 3 times.

does anyone know anything about the durability? If you have links or have had experience with the 3 year apple care, i'd really like to know. thanks!

2. fleawannabe macrumors regular

3. yth thread starter macrumors member

thanks, i saw that, but i'm looking for more general information

has anyone dropped their rmbp and had it survive?

4. Birdmagnus macrumors member

That guy dropped his rmbp and it survived, it doesn't look good, but it survived.

5. fleawannabe macrumors regular

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The warranty might not cover it... But home & contents insurance might :)

7. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

I've bee using a rMBP since it was released. I can't really speak about the durability of it too much, as I haven't dropped it or anything. I bring it around all the time, but it's always in a ColcaSac when I'm not using it. Just be careful with it, and you won't have to worry about it! I'm planning on buying Applecare for it in a few months.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Squaretrade would be a good option.

9. wankey macrumors 6502a

I'll summarize:

Durability is great to be honest for what it's got. It's just unfortunate that the laptop landed on its corner rather than flush with its side.

Trying to bend that corner back by hand is impossible, so definitely was hit by a lot of force.

The real problem with the rMBP is the weight is not right for the case it's put in. It's a trade off if you want a unibody computer like that.

If you're worrying about durability get a macbook air, the much lighter weight makes the unibody a lot more durable against drops since the battery is a lot smaller.

10. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Macbooks are solid computers. Pick one up and you'll know it. Now I don't know what kind of laptop, other than a toughbook, that you can drop and won't have some kind of major damage.

Besides, people should not be concerned about dropping laptops as often as phones. We're talking devices that should be handled with care on a daily basis.

11. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

But that would contradict one of the main selling points of the rMBP. Case = thicker and heavier.

12. PS65 macrumors 6502

Here's an idea...why not take extra care of it?

13. fleawannabe macrumors regular

I have a Incase case and you can't even tell it is on my MBP, I would imagine it would be the same for the MBPr

14. yth thread starter macrumors member

So basically, it's kind of durable, and it's definitely possible to lose $1000s of dollars by dropping it

Oh, and I should be careful. Except, if it's a portable electronic, shouldn't it be designed as such?

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yes, you should be careful. If you want something that can handle being dropped, you shouldn't be looking at rMBP, and you should instead be shopping for a Toughbook. It's 8 pounds, but it's got a handle! Thats portable, right?

16. tatical macrumors member

If dropping your laptop is inevitable, I suggest you get a Panasonic toughbook. Its pretty much the toughest laptop on the market and are literally bulletproof (they're not bulletproof by design, but they have been known to stop bullets, you can google it yourself if you want). I haven't checked the prices recently, put the top of the line models are probably more expensive than a well equipped MBP.

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

If one has a good comprehensive homeowners policy, all of your Apple gear will be covered. To insure you get maximum reimbursement should you need it, make a copy of your receipt, take pictures of your gear, be sure you have recorded the serial numbers, and your insurance will pay you well.

18. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, and you need to ring up the insurance company and make sure you're both on the same lines :)

...Because after all, accidentally burning down your house and accidentally dropping your MBP aren't all that different when you think about it...

19. yth thread starter macrumors member

maybe i'm not being clear, but it should be obvious that a toughbook is not a macbook pro...

and sure, dropping my laptop 1-2 times might be inevitable over the course of the next 4+ years, but i expect most laptops can withstand moderate wear and tear. for example, i've owned my current mbp for 4+ years and i've dropped it 3 times. it has a dent in the corner, but is otherwise fine. i'm not sure if the retina would withstand moderate usage like this, due to its construction...

20. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan