rMBP Durability?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baylor2014, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Baylor2014 macrumors newbie

I recently got a rMBP 13" late 2013 and this machine feels very well put together and premium but It'll be in a sleeve and in a backpack everyday.. Anybody ever have any durability issues with their MBP? Drop a comment, it's appreciated :)

2. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

There are those here who say they don't give a ****, toss the thing around and have it in perfect condition, and others who say it's wrapped in plastic 24/7 who get scratches. So it's hard to say. As for the internals, the only moving part in the Late 2013's is the fan I believe, if you drop it, unless a wire or something is knocked loose (doubt it) then the damage will be cosmetic.. or the screen.

I bought a Speck SeeThru for my rMBP because not only do I have my laptop in transport all the time (laptop bag), but I'll be going to camp this summer to work, some extra protection is always good. I recommend this case if it's something you're looking at. They can be found for less than MSRP price on Amazon, just make sure you read the reviews.

3. Inhalant macrumors member

Inhalant

My wooden table put a couple of small scratches in the bottom of the book, but I've heard the anodized aluminium Apple uses will scratch on anything. Watch the cnet durability test on youtube, gives you a good sense of how well made they really are.

4. Wishbrah macrumors regular

If you respect it, it will last a long, long time and function for years and years.

Cosmetically, aluminum will scratch from accidents because aluminum is intrinsically a softer metal. That isn't to say that it will scratch easily; I've used mine with a metal watch resting on the laptop countless times and I can't see any scratches.

5. leman macrumors 604

I don't put mine in a sleeve, I just throw it in the backpack. I've carried it on the motorcycle for thousands of kilometres, under all kinds of weather conditions - still feels and works as new after over a year.

Basically, what Commy1 says ;)

6. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Speck SeeThru looks really nice. But...

-I wonder about the addition in weight.
    -Is it slim or does it look bulky?
    -What about heat dissipation?

Dust:
    My main concern is not scratches, but dust.
    Till now I use a handmade(by me) cover for use when I am not working on it. Just to keep the dust away.
    I do not think that this can help with the dust.
    What do you think about it?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My rMBP feels solid, has the look and feel of a great product but being aluminum I know it won't take much to damage it, either by scratching it or denting it. Its probably one of the more fragile laptops out there. I'm not saying to treat it like fine a vase from the Ming Dynasty but rather understand the nature of aluminum (a soft metal) and consider that as you move it around

8. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

The additional weight is very minimal, and the added thickness of the machine isn't too bad, It's still thinner than a none retina MBP. I think it may depend on what case color. I have the crystal finish clear so it's pretty much invisible except around the edges.
    Heat dissipation is a none issue, if I've observed anything since I got it, it's that my temps have gone down.
    Dust build up is minimal to none between keyboard and screen and 0 between the case and laptop but I think that's an environmental thing.