rMBP Early 2015 Extra Storage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pedro Pinto, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Pedro Pinto macrumors member

Pedro Pinto

Hello everyone.

I'm posting this since I'm thinking on buying an extra space mechanism which allows me to store all my stuff without overfilling my main SSD.

I've been looking around and I thought about an SDXC card solution because it seems to be practical and it's almost invisible. It means it might stay over there and I shouldn't be worried about it. It would work as an internal storage drive.

I would like to know your opinion about it and other possible solutions. For this type of solution, I saw some reviews about Transcend JetDrive Lite which seems to be a good option. However, I'm not to pro on this so, i'll be waiting for your thoughts ;)

2. Niarlatop macrumors member

I tried the Nifty MiniDrive a few years ago, a really nice product with aluminium cover and all.
    However at that time there was problem with the suspend function of the Mac, I think as long as a card was plugged on the Mac it didn't go to sleep.

You could search to see if it's still the case ;)

3. Pedro Pinto thread starter macrumors member

Pedro Pinto

Thank you for your response @Niarlatop!

Well, it can be the next question for everyone who sees this thread, then :)

4. Niarlatop macrumors member

5. Candurin macrumors regular

I've got the hyperdrive (very similar to nifty drive). I out a 64gb micro sdxc card in it and sleep and all other functions work great.

6. venom600 macrumors 6502a

I have the Transcend JetDrive Lite and I had the PNY drive on my previous Macbook Air. The main issue with them is that SD cards really, really don't like to be used a lot. Simple storage is fine, but even installing Microsoft Office on it can cause it to overheat and stop workng. The JetDrive gets really hot when it is in heavy use and won't work again until it cools off.

7. Amigaman, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016

Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

I'm using a Nifty MiniDrive with a 128 GB SDHC card and I love it. I don't install apps on it but I do keep backups of my personal files and other things there.

8. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I use it for my iTunes library, and for this use, it seems fine. However, I've had files become unreadable. So heed the warning above, and my additional suggestion would be: include it in your time machine backups.