rMBP Erratic Trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dipm06, Oct 7, 2012.

1. dipm06 macrumors member

I just received my rMBP 2 days ago, and it is not having some problems with the trackpad. Out of nowhere, the trackpad just started to do things on its own. It moved around and clicks stuff randomly, making the computer unusable. It came with Mountain Lion installed, so the software update that Apple put out for Lion is already in it (I would hope (I tried the update and it won't let me instal it anyway)) I have now disabled the trackpad and am using a mouse to operate the computer, but I'd like to be able to fix this problem ASAP.

Have any of you guys experienced this type of behavior with your rMBP trackpad? Has anyone had any luck trying to fix it? I have a feeling that it is a hardware problem rather than a software issue.

Any input would be awesome!

2. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

I assume you have no ghosting? The ghosts probably ran away and settled somewhere inside the trackpad... :D

Sorry, but I couldn't resist :)

Have you reset SMC already? Try that first, then do a fresh OS X install and see if that helps. If not, you've gotta take it back to Apple and exchange it. You have 14 days. After that, it will have to go for a repair.

3. dipm06 thread starter macrumors member

I already tried an OS reinstall, which fixed the issue temporarily, but the trackpad eventually started to act erratically again. Unfortunately, I do not have an Apple store anywhere near me. I'll give Apple a call in the morning to see what they have to say. It is just so frustrating to have to deal with this after paying so much for this machine.

4. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

I got mine replaced recently when it had a dent in the bottom case. Just call Apple Online Store (not Apple Care) and let them know you want them to send you advance replacement. That way they will let you hold on to your current one.

Mine was expedited out in a day. This one is perfect and a second Samsung which leads me to believe that Apple now uses Samsung panels only or as a majority. I'm very happy after replacing mine approximately 12 times... :eek:

Apple's CQ is going down to drain... DO NOT let them tell you something's 'within spec'. I didn't and finally received a perfect machine that is up to my standards.

5. dipm06 thread starter macrumors member

Haha, it's funny that you mention that because I actually have an LG pannel in mine! 100% happy with the screen though!

6. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

It could be that there was a batch of Samsungs being shipped out. I'm absolutely satisfied with mine for once.

Just exchange yours. Clearly there's something wrong with the connector or something of the like.

7. dipm06 thread starter macrumors member

I've figured out that certain part of the trackpad work fine, while other parts do not register any movement. To that end, it is probably a hardware issue. I don't know why the cursor moves around though. Pat of the trackpad might be continually registering movement. Whatever the case may be, I will definitely be calling Apple and asking for a replacement.