rMBP exchange due to ghosting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tritons, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Tritons macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I own rMBP base version since July and there has been people with ghosting problem since it came out. At first I didn't check my rMBP screen manafacturer because I didn't notice any problems with it and didn't want to look for them but for past couple of months ghosting has been real issue to me. If I'm going through powerpoint presentation and then switch to browser I can clearly read all what is said in PP presentation, etc. What I want to know is how Apple deals with this kind of problems. Will they exchange screen/exchange whole rMBP for new one or make me pay for it? I don't have additional Apple Care but I still have warranty since it's not yet year old. If it helps I'm in UK, Scotland.

Thank you in advance.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

You are still in warranty, so if you fail an IR test, they will replace it for free.

3. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

What exactly is IR test?
    How long does it take for them to repair/exchange it?
    I'm leaving UK on Tuesday and I'm coming back only next month.

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

They will put something like a chekerboard on the screen, and if it shows image retention after 5-10 minutes, they will replace the panel for free. The time it takes depends on if they have the panel in stock, and how many they have to do. It could take anywhere from 15 minutes to few days (Friday to Tuesday for example).

5. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Right. Thank you for the info. It won't be hard to prove that there is problem since it now shows up after like 1-2min. I just had Google opened for 2min, went to facebook and had large Google logo. Don't want to risk it to not get back before I leave so I'll bring it to repair when I come back. Thank you.

6. Kushp14 macrumors regular

Was the ghosting issue only in the 1 gen retinas ?

7. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Where still in the first generation until haswell comes out in june or july. It mostly affects screens by LG

8. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I checked by rMBP with an LG screen (based on the script) with this test:
    http://www.mitchmalone.name/retina-test/

I run the 10 minute test (below) on my machine, which according to the script has an LG screen, and didn't notice any image retention.

[​IMG]

My previous basic 2.3 rMBP had an LG screen and did showed IR on the test. This machine was sold by Mac Mall in December 31st and Apple Care reflects December 8, 2013 as the warranty ending date (now is December 8, 2015 since I purchased Apple Care) so apparently is a late 2012 rMBP production.
    I know not every LG shows IR, apparently mine is one of the good ones; if something goes wrong in the near future, I'm covered until 2015.