rMBP Exchange w/ WWDC Proximity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbrannon47, May 4, 2014.

  1. mbrannon47 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #1
    Really need a rMBP in the next week for work, looking at the higher-end 2.3GHz with Retina display. With WWDC coming up in slightly less than a month, I understand there might be a chance of an updated model. Working in 3D and video editing, even a spec bump could make a difference, so I'm curious if anyone has any experience buying such a device so close to a launch.

    Apple officially states a 14-day return policy. If I purchase from the Apple Retail Store on May 6th, that gives me until the 20th. Does Apple provide some type of unofficial "leeway" for an exchange when an upgrade occurs, likely within 30 days of an original purchase?

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.
     
  2. unknownfps macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    #2
    It is unlikely for rMBP to be updated in June WWDC.

    rMBP refresh is around late September/early October, or in worst case: early 2015.
     
  3. mbrannon47 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #3
    Come to think of it, why does the MacRumors Buyer's Guide list spec bumps as upgrades in 2011 but show that the MacBook Pro hasn't been updated in 692 days? In that case, shouldn't the guide list the recommendation as "Neutral - Mid-product cycle" since we're about half way between spec bump upgrades?
     
  4. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2009
    #4
    Well that's speaking of Broadwell. A slight 100MHz bump within Haswell is entirely possible at any time, given the processors are out.

    ----------

    The retina model and the normal 13 inch model are listed separately. Apple is expected to discontinue the normal 13 inch. It's at 190 something days for the retina model. The average update for those is 250ish days, so a minor speed bump at WWDC is entirely possible.
     
  5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

    w00t951

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #5
    The mid-cycle Haswell bump could be significant.

    In addition to adding 100MHz to the base and turbo clock frequencies, it could also improve integrated graphics performance and increase battery life.

    So far Intel has added around 20 new SKUs to their product lineup, and it's very possible that Apple goes with their history of a mid-cycle MacBook refresh. The only difference is, this spec bump could come with some unexpected extras.

    Check out the Air improvements - vastly increased (+10%) battery life and a small bump (+100MHz) to the base and turbo clock frequencies.
     
  6. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2012
    #6
    Yeah I'm guessing minor spec bump sometime between now and WWDC - maybe 100Mhz speed bump and then either a) no other changes and a minor price drop or b) no price drop and a minor gpu boost.

    But who knows - basic rule generally true at any time is - if you can hold off do - if you have to buy you have to buy. But I would certinaly try holding off another week or two to see if any rumours/spec bumps materialise.
     
  7. gtanner00 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2014
    #7
    Has anyone looked at the new chips Intel has and found a good candidate for the spec bump? I just have a gut feeling that the GPU on the 13" will be updated battery life will be improved and price will stay the same. What are other peoples gut feelings?
     
  8. arnamak macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2012
    #8
    I'm in a similar situation, probably going to grab the upgraded 15" later this week.

    If I had to guess, I'd say they're going to update them at WWDC. Not sure why people here are saying it's unlikely. The rMBP is on sale at various outlets right now, along with the lower priced Airs surfacing over the past week. It feels like they're prepping for new ones and a ~100 price drop, would be my guess.

    Anyway, I'm going to get mine from Best Buy, because they offer a 45 day return policy if you're a "My Elite Plus" member, 30 days for everyone else. So my suggestion to you would be wait until the 11th if you can, buy it, watch WWDC and see if a new one is slated for release.

    If you really really need it and don't mind living in the gray, you could buy one now, return it before months end...and then buy another one essentially just to extend the return policy. Then wait to see if a new one comes out.

    Also, I just wanted to add. With the price drops that I'm seeing coupled with the fact that the new MBAs were announced at last year's WWDC, I'm quite confident that we'll see an update in June.
     
  9. The Mercurian, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014

    The Mercurian macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2012
    #9
    From this and follow the link to a German site it seems that most of the parts are only bumped by 100MHz. Also the high end 2.6GHz processor seems to have not been bumped. I reckon this means they HAVE to bump the MBP soonish - moderated only by whatever stock of current MBP's they have (does anyone know what stocking model Apple runs to ?).
    Yes I suspect they would rather give the GPU a mild bump than drop the price - but I guess it all depends on costings vs competitiveness at the end of the day.

    Edit ....ooops forgot the links:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34494-intel-lists-haswell-refresh-parts
    http://www.computerbase.de/2014-04/intel-haswell-refresh-cpu/
     
  10. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2013
    #10
    Small bump CPU, 800series GPU and that could be it until WWDC 2015 redesigned Broadwell Pro.
     
  11. gtanner00 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2014
    #11
    What us 800 series (nvidia?) That would only be for the 15" right?
     

Share This Page