rMBP external microphone !?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hidendra, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Hidendra, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

Hidendra macrumors member

Hello.

Ok I've been trying to cheaply hook up my external mic (Siberia v2) and my attempts thus far have failed.

The first one, a cheap chinese usb audio card, does not work not even on windows (line out is ok, line in/mic does not on either os) -- probably a dud

Second one, a (slightly expensive and hard to find) mic / speaker TRS outputs -> TRRS. This should have worked because it supports TRRS (iphone headset), but it did not !? When plugged in sound works fine but OS X does not see an external mic (headset is unmuted etc) only the internal one - http://puu.sh/W2B7 Do not have a iphone headset that has a working mic to test the port but side-by-side of the jack compared to an iphone headset jack was identical.

Perhaps someone has a solution to #2 but I've looked high and low.

Barring that are there any cheap audio cards that WORK? I'm not looking for something with a thousand features, I just want to use my headset without spending upwards of $100...

Thanks!

2. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i'm following here too.. i've tried everything also.. no idea why it's so hard for Apple to be able to accept an external microphone.. weren't able to fix it with late 2011 "15 either.. no idea what that line-in port does..

i'll try the SteelSeries usb soundcard some day to see if that works.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I have a USB external microphone and it works fine.

4. Hidendra, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

Hidendra thread starter macrumors member

Was able to find a working iphone headset -- works completely fine so I guess there's no guarantee that it even works with other trrs jacks?

Image of the two side by side.

[​IMG]
    (reflectastic shines)

All of apple's sleeves appear a touch smaller than this connector's (especially rings #1 and #2) however sleeve (mic) matches up just fine in both but could that be the likely culprit?

Going to give another risky card a chance. Aesthetics aren't great but it'll be out of sight, at least!

5. GabooN macrumors regular

I just got my Siberia V2 iPod model today. I ordered this one instead of the PC version because I have an Astro Mixamp on the way, which accepts the single stereo/mic port. This way the headset will work as-is with my iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro and the mixamp (into Xbox).

Is the black plug in your photo the 2-1 adapter that came with the V2s? You would think it would work fine. My iPod edition V2s have the same plug, and I know they were designed to work with Apple products but I thought that was more about the fact that the inline remote has the volume, answer call, change song buttons, and less about the plug itself.