rMBP External Monitor Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheBeverage, Mar 19, 2014.

1. TheBeverage macrumors newbie

I've been having an odd problem with an external monitor connected to my retina MacBook Pro (15", early 2013). For the most part it works perfectly, but every half hour or so the external monitor will turn off for anywhere from two to fifteen seconds. Then it comes back, and everything continues as normal. I've tried resetting the SMC to no avail. Any thoughts?

2. TheBeverage thread starter macrumors newbie

Bumping for visibility. Has no one else had this issue?

3. skywavesli macrumors regular

skywavesli

Never had this issue, connected via a mini display port to dvi adapter.

4. TheBeverage thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh right, I should mention I'm using the built in HDMI port, connecting to an ASUS 1080p monitor. I've used this monitor with other machines so I don't think that's the issue.

5. SBA macrumors member

I've actually run into this a few times now.

I have 2 identical Dell monitors hooked up - 1 via mini-DisplayPort (thunderbolt port) and the other via the hdmi port (both connecting to dvi) and only the hdmi one will blank out briefly. The monitor either goes black for a few seconds and comes back, or it shows a grey fuzzy screen and sometimes won't come back on its own.

Strange issue but I haven't researched a fix yet. This is on an early-2013 15" rMBP.

6. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Same here. Happens with the HDMI port only -- will black out for a few seconds and reconnect sporadically at random times . Since switching to DisplayPort the problem has gone away completely, so I'm pretty sure it's the HDMI port.

Never did find a reasonable explanation or fix for this, though.