rMBP extreme graphical glitch on sleep wake

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raptor402, Jan 13, 2014.

1. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hello, forum

I am using my father's mid-2012 15" rMBP for a while. I had just installed a fresh copy of Mavericks a while back and was installing Sublime Text when I left the laptop for a minute. When I came back and woke the laptop from sleep, I found half the screen with extreme graphical glitches. As I refreshed the display by shifting spaces and opening Mission Control, the colour of the glitch changed but the shape and style remained the same. I took a screenshot and a photograph to confirm that it wasn't a screen hardware error and it seems that it's software based.

A reboot fixed the issue. I haven't used the laptop for long so I can't say whether the glitch is recurring but since I wasn't running anything unusual (Chrome and Sublime Text), I'm curious what caused it.

Any clue?

Regards
    Raptor

Attached Files:

2. giffut macrumors 6502

This ...

... might be a failing graphics card.

Create a new user account, login and try to recreate this glitch. Did you boot from the recovery partition yet and run repair diagnostics on your system drive? If not, do so, too.

3. durkkin macrumors regular

I've been having the same issue with my early 2013 13" rMBP. The problem is only intermittent and I can't seem to recreate it on demand. Seems like a graphics card issue, but after replacing the logic board and a system restore the problem reappeared within hours. Apple store is replacing the logic board again, but it seems suspicious that 2 logic boards both had the same issue.

4. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

I have the same problem, but they are not accepting it unless I show the problem to them. They say they were not able to recreate it in the lab.

How did you make them understand the problem?

5. giffut macrumors 6502

Another ...

... possibility to test for hardware issues is to grab a screenshot via the key commands SHIFT+ALT+3.

If you see those patterns there, too, it´s definitely a hardware glitch. If not, it might be a graphics driver problem.

6. durkkin, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

durkkin macrumors regular

I just took a bunch of pictures and videos on my phone each time the issue appeared. Making the Genius watch about 5 minutes of video of my computer glitching and 20+ pictures helped him understand the issue. I also took some screenshots as giffut said to prove it wasn't the display. All of the screens were various patterns of vertical lines, although at one point the screenshots didn't even get processed it was so bad.

EDIT: I attached the pictures of my issue. Note all of these were taken AFTER the first logic board replacement.

Attached Files:

7. durkkin macrumors regular

Got my rMBP back today. The repair center decided to replace the display rather than the logic board (???). Not sure why. Since I don't know how to recreate the issue can't say that it's been fixed, but since the actual computer screenshots show vertical lines and not just my pictures, I doubt it's been remedied. The fans also now run at max speed while sleeping, even after a SMC and PRAM reset.

8. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

9. raptor402 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hello, forum

Sorry, it seems that I wasn't receiving notifications.

I just left the rMBP for around 15 minutes while downloading a new ROM for my phone. I returned and woke the display to the same glitches. Apparently, the artefacts respond to screen refresh.

Also, I had been using 1920*1080 scaled resolution. Switching to 1680*1050 fixed the glitches. My first guess was that Switchres X was the culprit but then I remembered that I had installed it a week after the first occurrence of the glitches.

Any clues on what it could be? The screen is obviously not the culprit since the glitches are present in screenshots. The GPU might be faulty but I'm hoping that that's not the case.

Regards
    Raptor