rMBP extremely hot during YouTube

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reRESERVEDMD, Oct 30, 2012.

1. reRESERVEDMD, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

I've just noticed that my base rMBP 15" gets very hot while playing YouTube show full screen in 1080p. Is that normal? I've noticed the fans come on to 2800rpm and the temperature on the GPU spike to approximately 80C

Is that normal? I don't think it should get that hot just during the 1080p playback...

If it makes any difference, I'm using a keyboard protector on it as well. Will try to play the same clip now with it off see if it changes.

EDIT: Only 4 degree difference between keyboard protector being on and off. I also forgot to mention that I'm running highest resolution 1920x1080

2. simsaladimbamba

Adobe Flash Player is CPU intensive, thus more power is needed to feed the CPU, which results in higher temperatures and often higher fan speed(s) on mobile computers. As more power is used due to Flash, the battery life of mobile computers is shortened by a good bit.
    To check, if Adobe Flash Player is responsible for less battery time or the heat, go to Applications / Utilities / Activity Monitor and select to show ALL PROCESSES and sort by CPU.

There are a variety of Flash blockers for all the four major browsers available.
    A Flash blocker does what it says, it blocks Flash content, but via a click on the marked Flash object, the Flash object can be activated and used.

• Safari: ClickToFlash, for which there is an extension and a plug-in; CTF allows you to download YouTube and other kinds of MPEG-4 encoded video too.
    • Opera: has a built-in Flash blocker
    • Firefox: Flashblock is an add-on to block Flash
    • Chrome: FlashBlock is an extension to block Flash

Also make sure to have the latest Adobe Flash Player version running, you can get it here.​

Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

And yes, 80° C is normal during playback of 1080p Flash content.

3. reRESERVEDMD thread starter macrumors member

I understand that, but I feel like it's too much for just 1080p Flash playback in full screen. My friend who has the same computer told me that his stays cool... I might hop over to the Apple Store and run the same movie on one of their display machines and see if it gets equally hot.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

80C is quite normal for the workload on your Mac. There's nothing wrong with it.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

If you're not already using it, iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
    (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What's the ambiant room temperature when this is occurring? And are you using the MacBook on your lap or on a desk? Because if the ambiant temp is fairly warm and you're using the computer on your lap 80C is perfectly normal for playing a Flash video. Try putting it under full load and it'll hit 90C hard and probably top 100C easy as.

6. reRESERVEDMD thread starter macrumors member

It was sitting on a glass desk with ambient temperature of around 74F

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah that seems reasonable - I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets 90+ ;)

8. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

i7's can crank up the heat with CPU intensive stuff. My Sony VIAO jumps 15 degrees C when watching Netflix.

I have had my cMBP for about a week now, unbelievable how cool it runs, however, watched a 1 hour show on Netflix the other night and at the end the bottom of MBP Very warm. I didn't think to check the temp with iStat Pro. WIll check next time and update this thread.

9. reRESERVEDMD thread starter macrumors member

I think the reason why it got so hot had to do with me running it while it was still plugged in to the power source. I re watched the same clip on the laptop's battery, and the temperature seemed to hover around 60C; it was exactly the same as friend's rMBP.

After all, it does seem like nothing to worry about :)