rMBP faint popping or clicking noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xxcysxx, Apr 19, 2013.

1. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

Hi fellas,
    I just recently discover a faint clicking or popping noise around the exhaust area of my laptop. it is in clam shell mode and connected to an external monitor with external keyboard and mouse, external speaker is also used on external monitor as well. every so often within a minute, silently, i hear a very faint popping or clicking noise near the exhaust area. i put my hands around there and there are warm air blowing out. the popping/clicking noise sound very similar to the kind of popping noise then you pick your computer up and you finger accidentally touch the clutch cover, it makes that kind of clicking sound but very faint.
    so I was wondering do you guys think if the warm air has any influences on the expansion and contraction of the plastic material of the clutch cover to produce that faint popping/clicking noise. after the first time i notice it, i hold really still to keep quiet to see if i can hear it again, and indeed it came from the exhaust area.
    my fan rpm is quite low (iStat pro), about 2019, and 1999 rpm. the graphic has a bit loading on it from messing around with color calibration.

2. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

My 2012 retina MacBook makes a clicking noise if I pick it up and hold near the exhaust area on the right side but it's more of a sound produce from my squishing the bottom a bit. It's not a sound produced by the fan just feels like the bottom squeaks a bit if that makes sense...