rMBP fan "clicking"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nuwildcat, Jul 30, 2012.

1. nuwildcat, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

nuwildcat macrumors member

I was wondering if anyone has experienced some sort of fan "clicking" with their rMBPs? Just tonight my computer has started making a noise from the right hand fan, as if the fan blades were gently hitting a small wire. The computer started making the noise after I brought it up a flight of stairs and set it on my desk. I carried it with the lid closed, sort of like a book. Using the app smcFanControl when I crank up the right hand side fan to high RPMs, like past 2500 the noise goes away. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

I have the same thing in the same place as soon as I started it up. Going to the apple store on monday

3. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Yes, my old Mbp did the same. It goes away, so not a big deal for me.

4. aerae macrumors newbie

I recently got a rMPB and although I don't get a "clicking" noise, theres a faint "hiss" noise, haha.

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I'd put it down to the bearing... give it time and i'm sure it'll stop. If not, then get the fan replaced. No biggy

6. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Our iMac did this (years and years ago when it was first purchased) and the ticking noise nearly ruined the machine for us. We also found that kicking up the rpm removed the noise - I guess the centrifugal force balanced the fan out or something.

The good news is that the ticking noise eventually went away, and hasn't surfaced again to this day. I'd give it a few weeks, and if the noise still occurs, take it to an Apple store.