rMBP fans screaming, System using 45-60% CPU...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thegreatdivorce, Nov 5, 2012.

1. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

Something, (I'm guessing Chrome, based on the huge list of "bootstrap" error messages in Console) crashed my MBP when I put it to sleep. Restarted it, and the fans started running full blast... no apps open. Open, then close Chrome - no effect on CPU usage or fan speed. Put it to sleep again, fans turn off. Wake up, fans spin up, and CPU still showing ~50% usage from "System." Restart, same thing. Restart again, and now it seems fine. Any ideas what's happening?

Attached Files:

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I know Chrome was causing issues in the past. Not sure if it's been rectified or not. I'd avoid using Chrome for a bit and see if that resolves the issue.

3. fan09 macrumors newbie

In the Activity Monitor, select 'All Processes' instead of 'My Processes' and that should show you what's using up the CPU.

4. thegreatdivorce thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I somehow never knew that.

I'm thinking the problem may be Chrome. Wish there was some way to know for sure.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
      (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

:confused:

Stop using Chrome. If the issue goes away, your problem was Chrome.

Also, use the Activity Monitor to determine the processes utilizing the CPU as indicated by other posters.

7. NHFR9W macrumors newbie

Chrome is a beast. I happened to be watching the process window this afternoon and chrome had 80 threads going. In addition to the 80 threads it had a series of other "render" processes running as well. A beast for sure.

8. thegreatdivorce thread starter macrumors regular

Done. What am I looking for here? Now it's all normal (screenshots were taken after opening Chrome, obvi)... but I just had another incident where the rMBP wouldn't wake from sleep. I hate to force a restart. This time Chrome wasn't running when I put it to sleep, and there are no Chrome error messages in the console.

Could it have anything to do with it going to sleep while connected to a Cinema display (non TB aluminum one)?

Attached Files:

9. thegreatdivorce thread starter macrumors regular

What I meant was: that time it seemed to be Chrome. But I just had a similar failure to wake from sleep, necessitating a forced restart, which appeared to be totally unrelated to Chrome (it wasn't running at all, and no evidence of it in Console or Activity Monitor.)

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's nothing in your screen shots that indicates high demands on system resources. If you're visiting sites with Flash content, that could be a culprit. Generally speaking, Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.
    It shouldn't have anything to do with the display. I've seen some threads on wake from sleep issues, but I don't recall the details. You might try searching the forums for "wake from sleep" and read a few of those threads, to see if any applies to your situation.

11. thegreatdivorce thread starter macrumors regular

Noted, I'll try those. Thanks! Very informative.