rMBP Faulty USB? (iOS device charging issues)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhyzome, Apr 15, 2018.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

When I try to charge or sync my iPad Pro (10.5”) on the USB port of my 2014 rMBP 15” dGPU, often the charge indicator in iOS will flicker on and off in 1 second intervols and will not allow syncing or consistent charging.

What’s the issue? Should I do a Genius for this? RMBP battery has been relatively week and throughout its lifetime it has always been hotter than I would have liked...could there be some kind of defect?

(The USB port problem is limited to the left-side USB port; the right side port functions fine; also, the problem occurs more often when trying to charge my iPad Pro than when trying to charge my iPhone 7, though it has happened with both)

Anyone else have similar problems?

2. robvas macrumors 68030

Bad cable?

I wouldn't even bother charging an iPad Pro from a laptop, it's just a trickle charge if anything.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Agree with above post.
    Use a "standalone charger" to charge the iPad or iPhone.
    Faster that way.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

See if the issue is the MBP port or the cable: plug the ipad into a wall charger using the same cable you're using to plug to the mac. If you're seeing the same issue at the wall, the problem is the cable.

Also, way back in my brain cobwebs, I seem to recall that on that era MBPs, right (as you're typing) port was USB 3.0 and left was 2.0.

5. rhyzome thread starter macrumors regular

No problem with wall chargers...only with charging with the MBP.

Interesting—I didnt know there was a difference between the left and right port specs!

6. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

I have the same issue with my rMBP 13" Late 2013 and my iPhone SE.

My iPhone exhibits exact same behaviour in one USB port (left), but not the other (right). It doesn't always happen. Same happens when plugging it to my Intel NUC - one port sometimes misbehaves and Windows sometimes says that USB device requested more power than USB could supply.

I use same wire with wall chargers and other USB ports - no issue there. It's not port as well because I plug a lot of different devices and everything works well.

I've also tried bending wire when iPhone goes to disconnect-connect tantrum and nothing changes. I doubt the wire is frayed.

It must be some black magic.

7. robvas macrumors 68030

That's silly. Both ports are USB 3.0