rMBP Feb 2014 Incremental upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SSD-GUY, Nov 14, 2013.

1. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

Will the rMBP be getting a Feb 2014 refresh as if you follow the buyers guide, it seems as if every feb they get their processors bumped slightly.

I ask as I will probably be getting a rMBP this December/January and was wondering whether it was worth waiting till Feb.

However, as the Haswell rMBPs were delayed, do you reckon Apple will just skip the Feb release and wait for Broadwell to come out later in 2014?

Thanks

2. MaclandValhalla, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

MaclandValhalla macrumors member

MaclandValhalla

From a quick Google search, many of the top Apple speculators do seem to be expecting a minor processor bump in Q1 of 2014. However, the bump will be negligible compared to the Broadwell update expected to arrive in Q4 of 2014.

Anyone have any guesses about which models' processors might see the upgrade?

3. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

4. jz- macrumors regular

They did introduce updated CPUs, 2.6GHz on the 13" and 2.4GHz on the 15" (+0.1GHz). Last year there were new CPUs that came out in September, but this year there probably won't be any new chips with Iris/Iris Pro, and with Haswell only coming last month it is probably too soon for another refresh. If Apple does update them before Broadwell, it would have to be with the same CPUs, and probably March-June to leave enough time between refreshes.

5. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

No reason to wait for it, it will be so small anyway.

6. PeterJP macrumors regular

Yes, but if it goes together with a lower price, like in the previous "small processor upgrade", it would always be welcome!

7. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Feb 2014...? Nah...!

I'll place my bet on June to coincide with WWDC 2014... Feb is too soon considering the current lifespan of rMBP will only be 4 months by that time...

8. SSD-GUY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah right. So there aren't any new haswell processors out in the next few months that are slightly more powerful like we saw in Feb this year with ivy bridge?

The main reason I'm willing to wait is because of resell value, Early 2014 rMBP will fetch more than late 2013 rMBP in two years time - But if they're due out in June, which I think is when broadwell will be released, then I can wait that long. Max time is around 2 months from now.

9. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I can't see there being a Feb update. Why would there be so soon after launch of the new MacBook's?

10. SSD-GUY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well there was last year. If you take a look at the buyers guide, when the Ivy bridge retinas came out in October 2012, they were followed by a small bump in Feb 2013.

The Airs are updated once a year, I find it a bit strange that the Pros are updated twice a year.

11. jz- macrumors regular

Apple most likely knew in advance that they wouldn't have Haswell chips for the Pros until October, so refreshed it in February. The 15" rMBPs actually came out in June, so a 16 month cycle is a bit too long for their flagship laptop line. The 13" was released in October, but at a ridiculously high price, maybe to limit demand to ensure they could keep up with it. Once the holidays were over, they were able to drop prices to closer to where they should have been.

Apart from that staggered release, the Macbook Pros have generally been on a 8-12 month cycle, so I wouldn't expect anything in February next year.

12. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Maybe closer to March or April, but not in June, that's too close to the Broadwell update. You realize we're talking about a incremental upgrade right?

13. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

14. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Why not?

15. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Still too early... If it's too close to Broadwell they might as well release them in Sept/Oct time frame. Sides, one year is not exactly too long a lifespan. Even the 2012 iMacs lasted 11 months... Incremental update could also mean addition BTO option of an even higher-end processor on the rMBP say.., a Haswell-based 2.8GHz Quad-core i7...? Remember the 2010 cMBPs...?

Or maybe with the so-called special relationship between Apple and Intel, Apple might be able to coerce Intel to access Broadwell for themselves months ahead of other OEMs... :D

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They won't get much more. Many people won't even care. If you are concerned with resale, why not wait for a real change rather than a mid-season or buy refurbished if that is an option? Broadwell is rumored to be pretty far out right now.

17. .:Aleph:. macrumors member

But not 'farther' than December of next year?

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure, but it will probably be late in the year. Intel has been a little cautious about releasing hardware before it's truly ready. Note what happened with Sandy Bridge a couple years ago. They had to issue an expensive recall early on.

19. SSD-GUY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would you say that the Haswell 13 rMBP is an example of "real change" or should I wait?

20. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

It was the big yearly update.

21. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Most of you guys are looking at this entirely wrong. In a nutshell, your world view is that of the tail wagging the dog.

Figuring out what's likely becomes a lot easier when you ask yourself just a couple basic questions:
    • What are the primary things that cause a company like Apple to decide it's time to roll out a new model?
    • What are the primary things that hold a company like Apple back from introducing new models?

I don't think, "It's February!" is, ever, an answer to either question. However, intelligent and logical answers to those questions can explain why we've often seen February updates in the past.

Hint: things like independent supply chains, marketing, competitors, retail sales cycles, inventory, R&D, quarterly sales, etc. all factor into the answers.

22. RMXO macrumors 6502a

Forgive me for necro'n this back but I've been wondering the same thing since I'm in the market for a new Haswell MBP 15". The reason why I'm wondering is because a Feb update will drive down the price of Late 2013 refurb or used models. Guess I'm going to have to wait to find out but waiting is so hard for impatient guys like me.

23. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I doubt that, because Broadwell should appear in the Q2/2014. Did you see some newer Haswell mobile CPUs!?

24. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Don't expect them till Q3. - L