RMBP File Transfer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EatMyApple, Jul 24, 2012.

1. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Just received my replacement RMBP and starting to do my setup and file transfer all over again.

I ran into this issue last time, but then noticed the dead pixels, so I backburnered the problem - until now.

On my 2010 Unibody, I have all my music set to copy to iTunes. When I go to the iTunes folder that contains all the music, it only shows ~3900 total files. My iTunes library shows 10,658 items, 40.3 days, 90.56GB.

On my original Retina (now replaced), since I couldn't find all the files, I just downloaded them all from iCloud. I was able to get 10,570 via download. That iTunes library shows 10,570 items, 39.5 days, 101.18GB.

Questions

1. Any idea where the 10,658 files/songs are located on the 2010 Unibody? I have searched every folder I can see thinking I might have jacked up the directories. I even picked like 200 random songs, selecting 'Show in Finder', and it brings me back to the same iTunes folder. When I select all, only gives me ~3900 files in X folders.

2. Why the 11GB difference in library size between the 2010 Unibody and the original Retina?

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

1. Noooo idea.
    Go into iTunes > file > library > organise library > consolidate files.

This copies all your music files (from wherever they may be lurking) into the iTunes media folder for copying to another computer.

2. You're using iTunes Match right? It upgrades lower quality music files to 256kbps AAC, which will take up more space than your original lower quality files. Hence the overall size increase.

3. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Didn't think of that......I will give that a shot. Thanks!

Yup using Match! So now my Beiber discography is in 256??!!......time to get 'Call Me Maybe' on the cloud!

4. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Best way to get iPhone backup from old MacBook Pro over to Retina to start sync'ing iPhone on the Retina?