Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamerguy55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Hello everyone, I have been reading this forum for quite a while but have never had a reason to post until now.

I have had an rMBP (2.3/16/256) for about 2 weeks now and decided to install windows today using bootcamp. After using the flashdrive and an iso method I rebooted to the flashdrive and began the windows set up, I must have done something wrong with bootcamp assistant because there was no partition for windows (bootcamp didn`t ask to make one). While looking at the partitions I saw 3: one small (a few hundred MB), one large (233GB), and another small one (a few hundred MB). I made a mistake and deleted and formated one of these small partitons thinking it was the flashdrive and when I rebooted I found the blinking question mark-folder. I found the fix that apple suggests for the Air but my superdrive has a windows disk in it (from an earlier bootcamp installation) so holding C just boots to it. With no optical drive (or installation disk even if the rMPB had and optical drive) I am lost. I haven`t seen anyone else with this problem and really cannot think of a way to fix it.

This was all typed from my iPad so please forgive spelling errors, thanks for the help!

EDIT: Also I tried restting the PRAM and that did nothing.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Depending on which partition you deleted, you may still be able to access the recovery partition by holding command+R when you start the computer.

If you're able to do this, you should be able to select your startup disk from here.

gamerguy55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Thank you! I didn't get to select a disk but holding Command and R started some internet recovery tool. It started a download, but it didn't say what it was for. There's a clock symbol and "0:28" and it's counted down so I guess that's how many minutes until its downloaded.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
It sounds like you may have deleted the recovery partition, but your computer is new enough that it is able to download the newest OS using internet recovery.

Do you have your important data backed up? Most likely you're going to have to reformat and repartition your hard drive and all the data that you had will be lost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.