rMBP for Engineering Student

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Engineeringcat, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Engineeringcat macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am waiting for the MacBook Pro updates, and when they are released, I'm going to purchase a 15" rMBP. I am going to study Electrical Engineering next year (might switch to Computer Engineering), and I am wondering if I should max out the ram to 16 GB. I don't run many intense programs right now, but that might change with being an engineering student. I plan on dual booting windows too. I also plan on keeping it for 4 years.

Thank you

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Hello. To simply answer your question, yes absolutely. The RAM is soldered onto the Logic board and cannot be added at a later date, so grab the upgrade for the small $200.

4. Engineeringcat thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I can't upgrade later, so is it just a good idea to future proof it since I will have it for 4 years?

----------

And would it be a good idea to upgrade the ssd to 512 GB? Or should I wait until I need it and upgrade later?

5. vespid macrumors newbie

yes, go for the 512mb ssd storage. I'm pretty sure that you're not able to upgrade anything beyond the options you select when building to order. I'm sure Apple tells you as much in the upgrade descriptions as well.

6. Dangerdog3000 macrumors member

If you're going to be working on you're computer a lot (which it seems like you are) go for the 16GB. At the same time... if you don't expect the laptop to last all 4 years, 8GB will get you through 2-3 years before more demanding applications require more memory.

7. kittencounter macrumors member

Spend the money on the RAM. CPU doesn't matter here for you. In fact you can choose the lowest CPU. My rMBP can handle all the standard apps + 3 Linux VMs running without sweat.

8. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Go for 16GB RAM and get the biggest SSD you can afford, agree with others that SSD size should be prioritized over processor speed IMHO.