rMBP for graphic work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pzphone, Jun 25, 2014.

1. pzphone macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, now i use a ASUS notebook but i want to change to apple product. Since i do a research on rMBP, it has a good quality of the screen than normal notebook.

Here is my question.
    1.Is it a good idea to buy rMBP for graphic work such as editing vdo (normally i used corel in my ASUS notebook )
    2.I just look at the buyer guide and it almost reach the end of cycle. Should i wait a few more month and waiting for new model?
    3.I want to know that is it neccessary to customize the rMBP ( like upgrading ram or other part) because when comparing to normal notebook it seems like rMBP is not that hi-spec.

Thankyou for every suggestion in advance :)

2. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I love my rMBP, great machine for graphical type work the screen really gives you added clarity:D. The majority of the creative work I do on it consists of Photoshop and other image editing. But since getting my GoPro during the christmas break I've been dabbling in video editing. The SSD's installed are great if you're working with large video files such as some of the 4K video i've shot.

I've got the baseline late 2013 15" model, so that's 2GHz i7 and 8GB of ram, without the dedicated GPU. I find for my needs that it's perfect, I have yet to be left wishing I had added more RAM or a faster CPU, but some users prefer getting more RAM upfront to future proof these devices as the RAM is soldered in place.

There is a delay with the release of Broadwell chips, so it is slightly unclear when the refreshed macs will be released, you can find a very extensive thread here discussing if one should wait or not. If you're really desperate to switch from your ASUS you could grab one now, otherwise the wait wouldn't harm you.

Hope this helps :)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It is at the end of its life, but without a new chipset from intel, there's nothing coming from Apple. Many people are waiting for Broadwell which is not due out until late 2014. That means at the very least new MBPs won't be seen until Christmas season or first quarter 2015

Depending on how you use your Mac will dictate the configuration, since memory is soldered onto the logic board, be a little aggressive in sizing it, and storage is storage, you know what you'll need.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It has been my experience that Macs don't need the power of Windows machines to perform as well if not better. I am not a power user but even in pushing the base model Air and rMBP(4gb ram/128 ssd) I am not able to get them to slow down one bit.

If you are wanting this machine to last you for 3-5 years, go ahead and get as much ram as you can afford. If you are like me and will probably use it for a couple of years then upgrade to a newer model, just buy the ram and storage for your current needs.