RMBP for music

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Southgate
Does it make any senses to buy a RMBP (2.6/16GB/512SSD) for making music ? Honestly the upgradable RAM makes me delighted only about to buy a retina one. But the missing line-out is a shame. I'm confused :confused:

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you produce music, you can use external sound devices attachable via USB. You also have to check, that your music creation application is retina ready, otherwise it might look blocky.
As for the following sentence:
Honestly the upgradable RAM makes me delighted only about to buy a retina one.
The MacBook Pro with Retina Display can only be upgraded before buying it. The RAM is not upgradeable at a later point, the SSD might be though at a later time with a product by OWC/MacSales.

playsontheleft

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
The rMBP is certainly a laptop capable of, as far as laptops go, music production - although the 16GB RAM upgrade which can only be obtained via Apple when you place your order is a must. Your primary concerns should be how well your DAW of choice works with the Retina Display as well as if your peripherals are compatible with the rMBP.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Southgate
I know its upgradable at the purchase only. I want performance but the MBP cannot upgradable to 16GB RAM ... It's about Logic Pro.

playsontheleft

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
I know its upgradable at the purchase only. I want performance but the MBP cannot upgradable to 16GB RAM ... It's about Logic Pro.
The normal MBP can upgrade to 16GB RAM, although Apple doesn't offer it as a BTO configuration. You will need to source two 8GB RAM sticks and install them by your own means. From what I can gather, it's not a particularly difficult job.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Does it make any senses to buy a RMBP (2.6/16GB/512SSD) for making music ? Honestly the upgradable RAM makes me delighted only about to buy a retina one. But the missing line-out is a shame. I'm confused :confused:
What software are you isn't for music production? Chances are it will never be updated for retina or it'll take a long ass time.

I don't think theres a single DAW that's retina ready.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Not to mention all the lovely FireWire interfaces that may require a TB-FW800-FW400 crossover cable and adapter. It'll work but not elegantly. Horsepower wise the rMBP would be awesome. I went cMBP 2.6GHz as I like having the ports onboard.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
What software are you isn't for music production? Chances are it will never be updated for retina or it'll take a long ass time.

I don't think theres a single DAW that's retina ready.
He mentioned above that it's Logic, I don't think that has been updated for retina yet which is a bit crap

jivemaster

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Logic didn't need to be updated for retina, the interface as far as I can remember is clear like a normal retina app. I haven't noticed but ill double check later.

I bought an rMBP specifically for music production, and have been enjoying it so far. I wanted an ultra book with the power of a high end laptop, and the retina is certainly that machine. The CPU can handle a decent number of tracks and effects. I'm primarily a Reason user, so can't speak for other DAWs. I do recommend the 512gb version at minimum to give yourself enough space for mix downs, samples etc.

The ability to scale your res to accommodate a larger work area is great, means you can get more space if needed.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Logic didn't need to be updated for retina, the interface as far as I can remember is clear like a normal retina app. I haven't noticed but ill double check later.

I bought an rMBP specifically for music production, and have been enjoying it so far. I wanted an ultra book with the power of a high end laptop, and the retina is certainly that machine. The CPU can handle a decent number of tracks and effects. I'm primarily a Reason user, so can't speak for other DAWs. I do recommend the 512gb version at minimum to give yourself enough space for mix downs, samples etc.

The ability to scale your res to accommodate a larger work area is great, means you can get more space if needed.
it is most definitely not clear like a normal retina app. get your eyes checked.

jivemaster

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
it is most definitely not clear like a normal retina app. get your eyes checked.
And you need to get your manners checked. I simply said I thought the graphics in it were fine, but haven't seen them for a while so couldn't remember. I barely use logic.

After checking it just now, you're actually not right. This application as far as text goes is retina supported. Seems the only pixelation is on the icons and waveforms. So it's about half supported by retina. At least the text doesn't make your eyes bleed. This is a step up from apps which have absolutely no support (like Reason) where text is pixelated.

Last edited:

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
Toronto
a regular 15" may serve you just as well, after a 16gb upgrade from an aftermarket seller. the fact that you can run a big spinner and an ssd in place of the dvd tray, or two ssd's when prices come down (if that's a factor for you) are a big plus.

also, having a FW port onboard already saves costs. those TB cables are frickin' pricey!

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
There are breakout boxes that give you all the line outs you could possibly want. I do high end VFX on mine, so it is plenty powerful. I see no reason not to get one for music. It is a portable workstation!

retinarob

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
VA
Ableton works great and looks fine on the rMBP. The 64bit beta is nice and fast too.

A Thunderbolt - Ethernet adapter is a must.

Last edited: