RMBP for music

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 808909, Aug 11, 2012.

1. 808909 macrumors newbie

Does it make any senses to buy a RMBP (2.6/16GB/512SSD) for making music ? Honestly the upgradable RAM makes me delighted only about to buy a retina one. But the missing line-out is a shame. I'm confused :confused:

2. simsaladimbamba

If you produce music, you can use external sound devices attachable via USB. You also have to check, that your music creation application is retina ready, otherwise it might look blocky.
    As for the following sentence:
    The MacBook Pro with Retina Display can only be upgraded before buying it. The RAM is not upgradeable at a later point, the SSD might be though at a later time with a product by OWC/MacSales.

3. mjn298 macrumors regular

if you use protools be advised that SSDs and thunderbolt to firewire aren't officially supported yet

4. playsontheleft macrumors regular

The rMBP is certainly a laptop capable of, as far as laptops go, music production - although the 16GB RAM upgrade which can only be obtained via Apple when you place your order is a must. Your primary concerns should be how well your DAW of choice works with the Retina Display as well as if your peripherals are compatible with the rMBP.

5. 808909 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know its upgradable at the purchase only. I want performance but the MBP cannot upgradable to 16GB RAM ... It's about Logic Pro.

6. playsontheleft macrumors regular

The normal MBP can upgrade to 16GB RAM, although Apple doesn't offer it as a BTO configuration. You will need to source two 8GB RAM sticks and install them by your own means. From what I can gather, it's not a particularly difficult job.

7. simsaladimbamba

The normal MBP is capable of having up to 32 GB of RAM since 2011, but since only 8 GB 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules exist, 16 GB is the current maximum.

PS: RAM is always cheaper when not from Apple.

8. stevelam macrumors 65816

What software are you isn't for music production? Chances are it will never be updated for retina or it'll take a long ass time.

I don't think theres a single DAW that's retina ready.

9. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Not to mention all the lovely FireWire interfaces that may require a TB-FW800-FW400 crossover cable and adapter. It'll work but not elegantly. Horsepower wise the rMBP would be awesome. I went cMBP 2.6GHz as I like having the ports onboard.

10. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

He mentioned above that it's Logic, I don't think that has been updated for retina yet which is a bit crap

11. jivemaster macrumors member

Logic didn't need to be updated for retina, the interface as far as I can remember is clear like a normal retina app. I haven't noticed but ill double check later.

I bought an rMBP specifically for music production, and have been enjoying it so far. I wanted an ultra book with the power of a high end laptop, and the retina is certainly that machine. The CPU can handle a decent number of tracks and effects. I'm primarily a Reason user, so can't speak for other DAWs. I do recommend the 512gb version at minimum to give yourself enough space for mix downs, samples etc.

The ability to scale your res to accommodate a larger work area is great, means you can get more space if needed.

12. stevelam macrumors 65816

it is most definitely not clear like a normal retina app. get your eyes checked.

13. jivemaster, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

jivemaster macrumors member

And you need to get your manners checked. I simply said I thought the graphics in it were fine, but haven't seen them for a while so couldn't remember. I barely use logic.

After checking it just now, you're actually not right. This application as far as text goes is retina supported. Seems the only pixelation is on the icons and waveforms. So it's about half supported by retina. At least the text doesn't make your eyes bleed. This is a step up from apps which have absolutely no support (like Reason) where text is pixelated.

14. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

a regular 15" may serve you just as well, after a 16gb upgrade from an aftermarket seller. the fact that you can run a big spinner and an ssd in place of the dvd tray, or two ssd's when prices come down (if that's a factor for you) are a big plus.

also, having a FW port onboard already saves costs. those TB cables are frickin' pricey!

15. gentlefury macrumors 68030

There are breakout boxes that give you all the line outs you could possibly want. I do high end VFX on mine, so it is plenty powerful. I see no reason not to get one for music. It is a portable workstation!

16. retinarob, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

retinarob macrumors regular

Ableton works great and looks fine on the rMBP. The 64bit beta is nice and fast too.

A Thunderbolt - Ethernet adapter is a must.