rMBP Freeze on Wakeup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trey M, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

This issue has happened a couple of times and it's pretty annoying...Basically if I close my lid, go to sleep and wake up the next morning, when I open the lid up, everything lights up (screen, keyboard) right where I left it, but nothing is controllable, AKA the mouse is frozen, any key shortcut doesn't work, basically nothing happens. I left it for a couple of minutes before I restarted, and it's fine then, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue. It's only happened since I upgraded to ML, and I really hope it's not a hardware issue (my guess is that if it was, it'd be a SSD issue?). Thanks for everyone's help.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

In this instance can you tell if it's the screen that doesn't change or just the inputs (trackpad + keyboard) that aren't working? Easiest way to tell is to wait 60 seconds and see if the clock changes or just plug in a USB or bluetooth input device.

3. Xerotech macrumors 6502

It doesn't happen here, but I heard fresh installs work like a charm. :)
    The boot up time for these things are incredible, I don't bother sleep moding.

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I had this issue when I first got my rMBP, and even after upgrading to ML. Once I did a clean install of ML and migrated my apps/data from my Time Machine backup, the problem went away completely.

5. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Great idea, I'll check out the clock next time that happens!

----------

Dang fresh installs are a pain the butt...well at least now I know I'm not the only one, so it's not a hardware issue. Maybe I'll just wait for Apple to release a patch for it.

6. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I just wanted to report that the same thing has happened to me twice over the course of owning the retina MacBook Pro. The computer is clearly functioning, but the mouse and keyboard do not respond. Luckily, the power button works, so I'm able to do a hard restart and things return to normal. With Bootcamp installed, doing a fresh install of Mac OS will be hugely annoying - will likely do this at some point in the future when I can be bothered.

7. vahnx macrumors member

Just happened here when resuming. The resume took longer than normal, about 5 secs of black, then keyboard/trackpad didn't work (no caps lock) but power button opened shut down prompt but enter didnt work. Holding it down though did power it off. Thats my 2nd or 3rd hard freeze on my first mac and Im not too thrilled. My Windows PC is more stable...