rMBP freezes, problem with Intel HD 4000

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madaUlp, Sep 21, 2012.

1. madaUlp macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have been following this forum but some time, but now i need some help myself. I have a rMBP 2.6/16/512, about a month old, which im very happy with.

However today the machine has suddenly started freezing with the Intel HD 4000 card active. If i turn off automatic graphics switching, forcing the computer to use the 650 Nvidia card everything works, but as soon as this is turned on, the system switches back to the HD 4000 and if the card is pushed just a little, fx by opening safari og mission control, the computer freezes. I can still move the mouse, but the rest is stuck in the mission control animation. Only solution is to hold down power button.

I have contacted Apple support and clean installed ML, but neither helped. I plan to bring the computer to the local premium apple reseller tomorrow, but in the meantime, does any of you guys have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

im currently having the same issue, except i don't know how to switch graphics. but my rMBP does freeze, i can move the mouse and all but only a shutdown can bring the machine back.
    have you found a solution? what did the apple store say?

3. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

The problem is related to the fact that the Intel HD is not just that powerful to push 4 million pixels.

Using the Nvidia is a must. Mac OS 10.8.3 will improve the situation but do not expect miracles. That integrated chip is good for standard resolutions, not retina ones.

4. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Serious you just got it. Was it new?

5. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

yes it was :/ only on safari. Last time it happened was like 2 hours ago

6. Modernape macrumors regular

Then why aren't all rMBP owners experiencing the same freeze issue?

7. leman macrumors 604

Please stop spreading misinformation. Most users here never had any problems with the IGP (aside reduced performance in selected applications). Certainly no freezing.