rMBP from BB, AppleCare question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by surreal1221, Jul 11, 2014.

1. surreal1221 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Since there is no clear refresh coming soon, and with the delays in Broadwell...I am gonna pull the trigger on the low-end 15in rMBP from BestBuy using the college discount.

However, how do I go about getting AppleCare for Mac since it doesn't appear BestBuy sells AppleCare, rather they sell its GeekSquad protection (which is ridiculously priced for the quality and timeliness of services [negative experiences in the past]).

So, thoughts? Am I able to visit an AppleStore today and purchase AppleCare after I have bought the rMBP from a vendor (BestBuy)?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yes. You can purchase Applecare for a Mac any time during the original 1 year warranty.

3. saturnotaku, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

saturnotaku macrumors 68000

You can purchase AppleCare at any time during your first year of ownership. Keep in mind that its activation is retroactive to your original date of purchase.

Don't buy it from Apple, though. Save $100+ and purchase from B&H Photo/Video. Free shipping and no sales tax unless you live in New York.

4. surreal1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay, awesome!

My apologies guys, I was under the impression you had to purchase it at point of sale with the accomanying Apple product.

And thanks for the tip about B+H.

5. capathy21, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Apple also gives a student discount on Apple Care. I believe after student discount, their price for Apple Care is almost in line with B and H. Call Apple and tell them you are a student and want to purchase Apple Care at the student pricing. I plan on adding it near the end of my first year too.

6. surreal1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay, wonderful. Good to know. Appreciate the information.

7. htc fan macrumors 6502

Bb geek squad warranty is better than applecare it covers accidents such as crack screen and water damage...its worth the extra

8. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

even cheaper on ebay.com