rMBP gaming issues on Win7 BootCamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fstanaszek, Feb 24, 2013.

1. fstanaszek, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

fstanaszek macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm running Tera on a retina MBP using bootcamp and windows 7 w/SP1 64bit.

2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    768GB flash storage
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory.
    Driver Version GeForce 313.07 WHQL (Current).

After recently updating my NVidia drivers (comp did it automatically & I figured why not) and after letting Tera patch yesterday, my computer has decided to make my Tera graphics very choppy. I was originally on the graphics preset 3 (pretty high) and playing the game very smoothly.

Any idea as to what's going on? I'm honestly stumped as to why my graphics quality would DROP after updating the game & my video card's drivers.

I've already tried a clean install of windows 7 and Tera, the graphics are still not working correctly.

If I change my graphics presets to 0 or 1, the game runs about as smoothly as it did before I update Tera & Nvidia.

I want to enjoy Tera on my $4000 rMBP! Any suggestions or help?

I've been reading and thinking that Tera isn't using my Nvidia gfx card, but instead using my integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics... How do I check this? When trying to configure Tera in the Nvidia control panel, I see this:

http://i.imgur.com/dI6YVz0.jpg

I have no option of choosing the Intel HD.
    Is this a sign that they did not install properly? After further investigation, I found the Intel HD graphics install drivers under "WindowsSupport" on my bootcamp installation external HD.

When trying to install them I get an error saying "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."

Is there a fix for this? What am I supposed to do?

I don't understand why Tera (and other games like Planetside 2) would work so well one day and then not the next. How can I check that both of my GPU's installed correctly?

Here is a SS of my advanced screen resolution settings:

http://i.imgur.com/FbZxEBa.jpg

Thanks, i'll be actively following this post all day.

2. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

3. fstanaszek thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i do that on bootcamp?
    and how is this relevant to my problem? nothing on that page applies to it.

----------

it worked! THANK YOU!

4. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

The SMC controls your hardware so it has nothing to do with the operating system you're using. (Boot Camp or OS X). Resetting your SMC directly affects the performance issues you are seeing with your video card. Plus there is no penalty in doing so, so it is something you can try without loss of data.

Just search this forum for "reset SMC". You'll see that the performance issues you are having are very similar to numerous posts in the past, and resetting the SMC is the first (and likely the only) troubleshooting step to take.

EDIT: No problem, it really should be stickied at this point.