rMBP gaming on external 27" and battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drask, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Drask macrumors regular

Hey guys, I know there are a lot of threads about gaming on this machine but mostly are at either 2880x1800 or 1650x1400(?), has anyone actually tried into a TBD at 2560x1440? I mean going down from full native res would improve performance, but at what point?

Things i'd like tu run:
    - Skyrim
    - WoW
    - Battlefield 3
    - Portals 2

I'll be using windows for this ofc, and I'm not much into gaming in a 15", I don't mind mid settings, I'm not a hardcore gamer, just like it from time to time.

2.- This is my first apple laptop, while gaming or even doing lighter things (coding, web browsing etc) and plugged into my TBD is it better to keep it charging even at 100%? or is it better to unplug it and then recharge it once below ~20%?

2. theAXEDhead macrumors member

These are very good questions. I would like to know the answers a well.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Once your battery is fully charged, it stops charging, even if it's plugged in, so it can't overcharge. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

There has been a thread about Skyrim on the rMBP not too long ago.
    The OP showed a video of Skyrim running fluently (30-40FPS) with 1920x1200 on Ultra + 16xAF & 8xAA. When turning off AA completely it should be playable on 2560x1440 with quite decent FPS.

5. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

Ya that's what I thought I'd like to hear from someone who actually tried it though.

@GGJstudios: Does that mean that leaving it plugged doesn't count as a cycle?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it doesn't. Read the WHAT IS A CYCLE? section of the Battery FAQ.

7. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Definitely not. Anytime you're on AC it's extending the life of the battery as it's not being used. It charges the battery up until full, stops, and then just draws off the outlet.