Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
This post is not to bash the rMBP in anyway. It is the most incredible computer I'ver ever owned and I have a truly flawless Samsung screen.

However I noticed after working instant hours on the rMBP I am getting migraines and feeling dizzy like seasick. It may sound stupid, but could it be that the Retina display gives to much information/sharpness that the brain has to work to hard? Anyone else feel the same symptoms?

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
What brightness level have you been working at and how does that contrast to the ambient light levels in the room? Also, have you experimented with different scaled resolutions or colour profiles? If you're staring at a lot of bright white, that could be an issue.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
I don't have a great screen (iI'm seeking a replacement), but I found that changing to the 1680 resolution to be much more comfortable. Sure the "true" retina resolution is great but things look too big and ugly.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
What brightness level have you been working at and how does that contrast to the ambient light levels in the room? Also, have you experimented with different scaled resolutions or colour profiles? If you're staring at a lot of bright white, that could be an issue.

I always use very low brightness levels on all my screens. never more then 3 dots and in bight light 4 dots.

I will try different resolutions. I just know I didn't had this on my macbook air. But they contrast and quality of that screen is far inferior in all aspects.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It may also be helpful to have your eyes checked. Perhaps you could benefit from a prescription or updated prescription for glasses/contacts, especially if you spend a lot of time in front of the computer. Also, you may need to adjust your distance from the screen to accommodate the retina display.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I always use very low brightness levels on all my screens. never more then 3 dots and in bight light 4 dots.

I will try different resolutions. I just know I didn't had this on my macbook air. But they contrast and quality of that screen is far inferior in all aspects.

Are you ever straining your eyes? Personally I cannot use 4 dots in a well lit room - I'm almost always at max or near max brightness. I dim as the natural light recedes, and end up with 1 dot if it's pitch black. Also have a look into colour profiles. A more warm/more cool profile may be beneficial too.

NikkiJayne

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
England
I'd also agree with getting your eyes checked: headaches are the first symptom for me when I need new glasses, especially after staring at a computer screen for a long time.

I know some people are very sensitive to a certain type of LCD screen; it's to do with the flicker rate. Perhaps try and investigate that route?

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I'd also agree with getting your eyes checked: headaches are the first symptom for me when I need new glasses, especially after staring at a computer screen for a long time.

I know some people are very sensitive to a certain type of LCD screen; it's to do with the flicker rate. Perhaps try and investigate that route?

This was a problem with CRT monitors, not LCDs

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Thanks for the replies,

My eyes where checked a half year ago and I do wear glasses since then. I do have minus glasses, and I know in a way those glasses affect short distance viewing. So maybe I should try watching the retina screen without glasses.

@NStocks, Sorry your screen is bad :( I was really lucky with a perfect Samsung screen.

djon41

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
You may also try this: f.lux

Especially if you work on your computer near a lot of fluorescent lighting. It can take a bit to get used to, but once you do, it makes a big difference in comfort (at least for me).

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
This is almost certainly an eyesight issue I would think as almost everyone else doesn't have this problem. Your eyes most likely are having difficulty tracking

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Funny u mentioned this issue. Recently i tried to switch to 15" high resolution antiglare macbook pro and i bought it refurbished. used it for few hours and had the same feeling you are having. seasickness type feeling. So I thought it was defective and returned it back to apple. Then I got 27" Imac and had same issue. Ended up selling it.
I went to eye doctor and checked my eye sight. Its perfect 20/20 and only issue i have is dry eyes for which i was given eye drops.
So its not only you and I'm not sure whats wrong but I have a feeling that it might be related to how OSX displays fonts and everything.
I used high resolution windows laptops before and never had this issue. Could be something is wrong with me but I don't know what.
So after my little experiment I switched back to my Mac Pro with 3 HP 24" 1900x1600 displays and I have 0 issues with this setup. Weird

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I was having the same issue with my 13" MBA and I sent it back. However, for me, it had to do with the text being ever so slightly blurry.

You may try frequent breaks and sure your blinking enough - sounds stupid, but I find myself focused on my project at hand and have to remind myself to relax and blink. ;)

fongyuen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
i actually have a similar experience with the new rmbp. never experienced this before with my 2008 17" but the moment i switched to the new rmbp, i started to get mild headaches from looking at the screen.

i googled it and on this forum (the last post), someone said it's related to the pulsing of the lcd screen? not sure if that explains it but his suggestion was to keep the brightness on full.

still, very strange.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
This post is not to bash the rMBP in anyway. It is the most incredible computer I'ver ever owned and I have a truly flawless Samsung screen.

However I noticed after working instant hours on the rMBP I am getting migraines and feeling dizzy like seasick. It may sound stupid, but could it be that the Retina display gives to much information/sharpness that the brain has to work to hard? Anyone else feel the same symptoms?

Stare at the image below and tell me if the seasickness feeling was similar? :p
sea-sick.png

dexum175

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
United States
Well I hate to say but I too am having some trouble using the rMBP.. last week I got really nauseous and dizzy while using my rMBP, a feeling I've never gotten in my life while using a computer. Today It struck again really bad. I use my iMac on a daily basis 24/7 for about 6 years now and I've never felt this way. Now that I bought the rMBP about a month ago I've really been feeling weird using it. Hopefully It's something else 'cause I don't want to let go of this awesome piece of tech.. :(

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
This was a problem with CRT monitors, not LCDs

What do you mean by that?

I have that problem with both CRT and LCD displays, heck even with newspapers when my prescription is getting old. Perhaps my slight Against-the-rule astigmatism has something to do with that, but it's the extra strain to the eyes that causes the headache, so the display technology used makes no difference to me.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
It's the brightness level. Retina display is designed to reduce eye strain.

I think the lower brightness level is caused by the pixel density (less open glass in between the transistors), and is not really a design choice, but a slight compromise. Though the display is still quite bright enough, it'll reach over 250cd/m^2 without a problem. With LED backlighting the brightness level of a new display doesn't really need to be that high anyway, as it won't get dimmer when it ages, like a CFL does.

All my displays have been calibrated at ~110cd/m^2, just as my current rMBP, and my current prescription is almost two years old, so I guess I'll see in a few months if there's a difference ;)

christopher404

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2015
Any luck?

Any update on your issues? I have observed the same problems when using a 15'' rmbp and I wonder what you might have done to resolve them.

I think the lower brightness level is caused by the pixel density (less open glass in between the transistors), and is not really a design choice, but a slight compromise. Though the display is still quite bright enough, it'll reach over 250cd/m^2 without a problem. With LED backlighting the brightness level of a new display doesn't really need to be that high anyway, as it won't get dimmer when it ages, like a CFL does.

All my displays have been calibrated at ~110cd/m^2, just as my current rMBP, and my current prescription is almost two years old, so I guess I'll see in a few months if there's a difference ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.