Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Any indicators that it's getting updated?

I'm in the shop for a new MBP... No rush, but still, I'd rather not wait more than till Q1 2013.

I know MBPs sometimes get updates in january...

I've read that RAM until memory bandwidth is increased is unlikely to be upgraded, there are really no feasible options for CPU, the only theoretical thing to be updated is GPU. Which is not a significant enough upgrade to update the series.

Should I just take the plunge? I was going to get 2.7, 16gb, 512gb ssd version.

Nov 28, 2010
located
An updated MacBook Pro with Retina Display is unlikely in the next four months. Apple will wait until Intel rolls out its mobile Haswell chips and then put those into their new Macs one by one, thus a new MacBook Pro with Retina Display is not likely before late spring 2013.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Huh. that's what I suspected. I don't think I wish to wait that long.

Since I had plenty enough CPU power in my 8core mac pro which scores as high as rMBP 2.7ghz ... Perhaps I should be good with this one. I'll think about it - thanks

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Just did some more reading up.

CPU bump - impossible, 2.7ghz is 2nd from top of ivy bridge. The top one 2.9 takes way too much power to be used in rMBP.

GPU - perhaps GT660M, 5W increase in power. Still, unlikely i believe.

RAM - MPG has quoted 99.90% bandwidth utilization.

so yeah. rMBP updated probably wont happen till haswell. Question is whether is it worth waitin for it or not. its 4 months.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
That's kinda unlikely for apple, except before an imminent update.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Didn't the price of second generation CMPB go down from the first?

The price adjusts up or down depending on market demand.

But since introduction until now, the unibody 15" MacBook Pro has only dropped a total of $200 from $1999.

If the Retina MacBook Pro 15" follows the same trend, then it'll be $1999 by the next 3 or 4 years.

But that's the 15" model. The 13" MBP has stayed at $1199 ever since it was released all the way until now.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
so yeah. rMBP updated probably wont happen till haswell. Question is whether is it worth waitin for it or not. its 4 months.

I would anticipate delays. July/Aug. Even if it was 4 months, if you need a laptop you shouldn't wait.

Argentine86

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2011
If you need one, but it. Sell later if need be for new one

I have a base model rMBP I got two weeks ago, with a Samsung Screen. I was debating exchanging for a BTO 16GB Ram Option but decided to wait until the next big update (Haswell?) and sell it/buy the new one then. I can live with it as is, it's still the best laptop I've ever owned thus far and I don't want to risk getting an LG/lag or whatever said problems on here.

I also debated waiting till next refresh before buying, but I needed a laptop now, my Dell is a hair away from being dead. And not one regret of buying now, this Macbook is badass :cool:

If you need a laptop, just buy it now. Sounds like these macbooks keep their value, especially since they'll stay closest to new without having to open/upgrade like the cMBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.