Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeremy W

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
I installed gfxCardStatus a few days ago, and it was working great. Out of the blue, my rMBP is now stuck on integrated graphics. I tried removing gfxCardStatus, and it's still stuck. Any program that would normally activate the discrete graphics (NetNewsWire, games, etc...) just hangs on launch.

Can anybody help me?

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Check System Preferences=>Energy Saver. Is "Automatic graphics switching" turned on?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Check System Preferences=>Energy Saver. Is "Automatic graphics switching" turned on?

Sadly probably not, as "Automatic graphics switching" set to off forces the discrete GPU on 100% of time.

here`s what I would try in orders of severity

• https://github.com/codykrieger/gfxCardStatus/issues/
  • Reinstall gfxCardStatus
  • Shut the machine off fully and restart.
  • You can then start into Safe Mode by holding the Shift key directly after seeing the Apple logo when you turn on your machine, and then remove gfxCardStatus from your login items.
  • Run Apples hardware test if it passes, likely you will need to reinstall Lion, if it fails back to Apple.

I would also contact the Dev for grfCardStatus as he may be aware of an issue, although from my understanding the app is only using Apples own framework and in general extremely stable.

Do you have any other app installed that controls the GPU`s or more likely the resolution?

Jeremy W

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
Well, you guys gave me an idea that fixed my problem. I disabled automatic graphics switching and rebooted. It was locked to the NVIDIA card, and everything worked. Then I re-enabled automatic graphics switching, and now everything is working normally again. I guess the toggling was all it needed.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Queen6

macrumors G4
Well, you guys gave me an idea that fixed my problem. I disabled automatic graphics switching and rebooted. It was locked to the NVIDIA card, and everything worked. Then I re-enabled automatic graphics switching, and now everything is working normally again. I guess the toggling was all it needed.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Good news, no drama and we all learned a new fix :apple:

xBlue

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
I have the same problem. Usually it's stuck on Intel and no applications that need dedicated card will even start. This is fixed by rebooting the computer.

I had this problem since ML and Retina MBP.

Jeremy W

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
I have the same problem. Usually it's stuck on Intel and no applications that need dedicated card will even start. This is fixed by rebooting the computer.

I had this problem since ML and Retina MBP.
Did you try my fix? It worked every time for me, but I eventually just gave up and stopped installing gfxCardStatus and the problem went away.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
gfxCardStatus is causing a lot of issues on rmbp machines. I would completely avoid it.

xBlue

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
I don't think that's a solution, because rebooting is enough to "fix" it.

Since it doesn't happen often it's hard to know if it's fixed or not.

kefaith

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2012
I had this problem since the 2nd day I've owned it. I finally figured out the solution (I think, at least for me).

I have gfxcardstatus installed. I noticed that if I leave it on force integrated or dedicated and do a shutdown / reboot, I will have the gfx stuck at integrated the next time it powers on. And to resolve this I can only do a reboot once more for it to function normally and be able to switch between the 2 cards freely.

So the "solution" that I finally figured out after 2 whole months of playing around with it was that to set it to dynamic mode if you are gonna shutdown or do a reboot, otherwise u can set gfxcardstatus to force either cards and use it as per normal. Just remember to set gfxcardstatus back to dynamic mode before reboot / shutdown, and the next time u power on your rmbp you should not have this issue whereby it gets stuck on integrated card anymore.

Hope this helps. Cheers. =)

BruceBack

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
I had this problem since the 2nd day I've owned it. I finally figured out the solution (I think, at least for me).

I have gfxcardstatus installed. I noticed that if I leave it on force integrated or dedicated and do a shutdown / reboot, I will have the gfx stuck at integrated the next time it powers on. And to resolve this I can only do a reboot once more for it to function normally and be able to switch between the 2 cards freely.

So the "solution" that I finally figured out after 2 whole months of playing around with it was that to set it to dynamic mode if you are gonna shutdown or do a reboot, otherwise u can set gfxcardstatus to force either cards and use it as per normal. Just remember to set gfxcardstatus back to dynamic mode before reboot / shutdown, and the next time u power on your rmbp you should not have this issue whereby it gets stuck on integrated card anymore.

good share :)

bitninja

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
San Jose, CA, USA

Fixed this in v2.3 (coming out soon). Sorry about that. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.