rMBP ghosting - how likely is it Apple will replace entire unit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbytallant, Dec 3, 2012.

1. bobbytallant, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

bobbytallant macrumors 6502

Hi guys - not an uncommon problem I am experiencing with my rMBP - it has ghosting issues.

I am hoping to get it replaced for a new/refurbished unit ideally.

Do Apple commonly do this (assuming I can replicate the fault), or is it more common that they just replace the screen for ghosting issues?

Any tips for how to request a full replacement, rather than just the screen?

I think my rMBP gets worse the longer it is on, is there any way to make it obvious in store that the screen has issues, or will they quickly be able to identify whether problems exist anyway? Does it matter how long the machine is on in other words for ghosting problems to arise?

Thanks

2. Mdwall macrumors member

I'd wager they would just replace the faulty part. Why would they need to replace the entire computer just for the screen?

3. benguild macrumors 6502a

Some consumers have just been receiving replacements since they need to study the units that are faulty.

4. dsc888 macrumors 6502

They will replace the whole unit if you bought it from them directly. Seeing that I got mine off Amazon, they only did the screen which guaranteed me a Samsung screen as they seem to be only using Samsung replacements at this point. The genius told me point blank that they would have swapped it out then and there had I bough it from Apple.com or an Apple Store. But you run the risk of getting another LG screen which are still being used to some extent.

5. bobbytallant thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool yeah I got it direct from Apple so hopefully they will just give me full replacement.

Does it need to be really bad do you know (the ghosting), or does it just need to be replicated to any extent in order to be a fault worthy of justifying a replacement? I guess it is down to the end user how acceptable the particular level of ghosting is..

6. anatolie macrumors member

I've personally heard that Apple has been replacing the entire computer for people with these issues. Even heard that someone got upgraded from the base model to the maxed out model (for no extra charge!) because they ran out of the base models in the store. Even if they don't replace the entire computer, they'll definitely fix the issue for you, fortunately mine hasn't had ghosting, is it really noticeable or slight ghosting?

7. bobbytallant thread starter macrumors 6502

It is perhaps more noticeable given my usage, usually I have several windows of my browser open at one time, and they stay in that place for hours at a time. Then when I swipe between desktops etc, I can faintly see the outline of those same windows. It is annoying. I have tried the image retention tests that are around (checkerboard one etc) and it is very clear my rMBP has an issue.

Do you think I can perform such tests in store, should apple question the existence of it? Or would that be seen as an un-natural use of the product or something? (some of these tests say leave a black and white image on the screen for as long as 15 minutes etc, is this practical in an apple store?).. I mean, do you think all rMBPs would have some form of ghosting under those tests - or being ultra stubborn should I expect there to be nothing visible under/following such tests?

8. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I brought my rMBP in on Friday for this problem. They replaced the display and just called to say I can pick it up.

When I brought it in, I made sure that I had some windows on screen which did a good job of exhibiting the problem when I pressed either the key that shows all the windows on the "linen" background, or the key that shows your app icons on the blue background. I also had an IR test page ready to go in the background (www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html). My machine only needed the checkerboard page to be up for about 30 seconds to show the problem pretty clearly. The genius saw the problem easily without me resorting to the test page.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Do any apple stores replace the display in house?

10. KevinC867, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012

KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that's what happened with mine. Especially since they received the machine on Friday evening and had it ready by Monday around noon.

11. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Yes, they do. When I took mine in for repair, they told me they had the replacement displays in stock at the store. They had it back to me in less than 24 hours with a new Samsung display.

12. nutritious macrumors 6502

Got my screen replaced two days ago, and they replaced it with an LG screen.

13. eeclipse16 macrumors member

Im not quite sure how true that statement is. They did not do that for me and I can't recall reading anyone that has had that done for them. I brought my computer to the same exact store that I bought it from and they were shocked when I showed them how bad the image retention was and the only option they gave me was for them to send it to Apple to be replaced which took about 3 days.

Here is a link to what I did to get my image retention to show. It would show up after a minute and 30 seconds and I did in the store right in front of them. The Genius Bar tech said he had never seen this before (has only heard of it) and called 2 other employees over to see it. They took it from me and sent it back to Apple and I got it back three days later with the Samsung screen.
    http://youtu.be/3Bwh_GnwBFA

14. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Cool. My IR has become unacceptable now (it's noticeable under normal operation). Kinda sucks that I live about an hour away from the nearest Apple store, but I want to get the quality I paid for.

Hopefully I end up with a Samsung screen.