rMBP ghosting replacement process

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PrestonWard, Aug 13, 2012.

1. PrestonWard macrumors member

I have a rMBP that has slight ghosting, what is the procedure to get it fixed? If I go to apple store will they order a new screen or just replace the computer?

2. Rocky244 macrumors regular

1-800 my-apple

3. ian1, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

ian1 macrumors newbie

Took mine to the Apple Store, they confirmed the ghosting problem but they had to phone Apple Support to ask them what to do, I had to speak to the support person to arrange the return etc. If you're close to an Apple Store it may be useful to take it in to get them to confirm it but if not I'd just call Apple.

They are replacing the whole unit not just the screen even thought I was outside the 2 week cooling off period.

4. LegendaryHero macrumors newbie

I took mine to the Apple store in my area and the genius said that they'll replace the entire unit for me. This occurred a week after my two weeks were up. They let me keep my current one while they wait for the replacement unit to be shipped to the store since mine was a custom order. Hopefully I'll get one with a Samsung screen as the ghosting on my LG model is getting worse.

5. kirky1234 macrumors member

Received my second replacement today and noticed ghosting (LG screen). Since it's not noticeable in my daily workflow I'm thinking of keeping this one and see if it gets worse. Just to be sure: This is definitely something they will replace if I send it in in 2 years (I have AppleCare)? For me it doesn't matter if they get a new screen or a whole new machine, I just want to be sure, that they will replace it not only now (in this 2 week period) but also in the future...

6. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

2 years living with ghosting, lag, bleeding...!!!. Do you wanna figure in the Guinness World Records or what?? :D

7. kirky1234 macrumors member

:D Ghosting occures only if I have the grey wallpaper. Also its not VERY strong (still clearly noticeable) and it disappears in 1 minute. Since I never use the grey wallpaper, I could live with that...

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

He said he didn't see it with normal use. Perhaps he's just too busy to run that little test all the time to see if he got a 'bad' screen.

9. kirky1234 macrumors member

Still hoping for an answer on my question... Anyone?

10. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

samsung or lg

11. kirky1234 macrumors member

lg

12. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Mine was beyond the two week window. The Apple Store sent the entire computer in for repair. They would not replace it. That was August 15th. As of today it has yet to ship back and I do not yet know what they did in the way of repairs. The only thing I know for sure is they were able to reproduce the IR and promised it would be repaired. Mine was also sleeping at random times when i was working on it and my wall paper would not change from gray. Will post back when I get the computer.