Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrestonWard

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I have a rMBP that has slight ghosting, what is the procedure to get it fixed? If I go to apple store will they order a new screen or just replace the computer?

ian1

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
UK
Took mine to the Apple Store, they confirmed the ghosting problem but they had to phone Apple Support to ask them what to do, I had to speak to the support person to arrange the return etc. If you're close to an Apple Store it may be useful to take it in to get them to confirm it but if not I'd just call Apple.

They are replacing the whole unit not just the screen even thought I was outside the 2 week cooling off period.

Last edited:

LegendaryHero

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
New Jersey
I took mine to the Apple store in my area and the genius said that they'll replace the entire unit for me. This occurred a week after my two weeks were up. They let me keep my current one while they wait for the replacement unit to be shipped to the store since mine was a custom order. Hopefully I'll get one with a Samsung screen as the ghosting on my LG model is getting worse.

kirky1234

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Received my second replacement today and noticed ghosting (LG screen). Since it's not noticeable in my daily workflow I'm thinking of keeping this one and see if it gets worse. Just to be sure: This is definitely something they will replace if I send it in in 2 years (I have AppleCare)? For me it doesn't matter if they get a new screen or a whole new machine, I just want to be sure, that they will replace it not only now (in this 2 week period) but also in the future...

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
Received my second replacement today and noticed ghosting (LG screen). Since it's not noticeable in my daily workflow I'm thinking of keeping this one and see if it gets worse. Just to be sure: This is definitely something they will replace if I send it in in 2 years (I have AppleCare)? For me it doesn't matter if they get a new screen or a whole new machine, I just want to be sure, that they will replace it not only now (in this 2 week period) but also in the future...

2 years living with ghosting, lag, bleeding...!!!. Do you wanna figure in the Guinness World Records or what?? :D

kirky1234

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
2 years living with ghosting, lag, bleeding...!!!. Do you wanna figure in the Guinness World Records or what?? :D

:D Ghosting occures only if I have the grey wallpaper. Also its not VERY strong (still clearly noticeable) and it disappears in 1 minute. Since I never use the grey wallpaper, I could live with that...

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

He said he didn't see it with normal use. Perhaps he's just too busy to run that little test all the time to see if he got a 'bad' screen.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
Mine was beyond the two week window. The Apple Store sent the entire computer in for repair. They would not replace it. That was August 15th. As of today it has yet to ship back and I do not yet know what they did in the way of repairs. The only thing I know for sure is they were able to reproduce the IR and promised it would be repaired. Mine was also sleeping at random times when i was working on it and my wall paper would not change from gray. Will post back when I get the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.