rMBP "ghosting/retention" experience and seeking advice needed!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theuserjohnny, Jul 7, 2012.

1. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Got my rMBP on Monday and it was great! Crazy fast and such. I was doing all the testings that everyone's been having concerns about such as the scrolling and such but I finally started testing for the ghosting and sadly despite the fact that my machine was (according to the serial) built on the week-ish of June 25th I had the ghosting/retention issue.

I didn't wanna believe it but I ended up going to my Apple store today. I was the first of the kind within my area to have this issue and the ones who helped me had no idea wth to do. He obviously saw the issue and told me that this "should not be happening". Since they did not have my load out in stock (maxed out rMBP) they gladly refunded my purchase.

However, I am now on the fence as to what I should do. Should I just reorder again right now... or should I wait for my local store to get them in stock.

I'm just kind of paranoid about getting it again and was wondering for those who have had theirs replaced to share if their new replacement had no longer exhibited the ghosting/retention issue.

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

It happens on my iMac as well as IPS displays in general.

The fact that you didn't notice any ghosting until you actually tested for it says a lot :rolleyes: Of COURSE you're going to get ghosting if you let the image burn in.

Use a screensaver and don't leave static images on your screen for extended periods of time, i.e. use the computer normally.

of course if you're getting burn in during normal use, that's another story.

Also: my iMac used to get burn in very often. Every day when I shut it down, I'd notice the dock was burned into the screen. It would always be gone the next day however. Lately (the past year or so) I can't remember burn in ever happening once, so maybe it's something these displays can grow out of.

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

You really should not get ghosting on any LCD. I've been using an IPS LCD on my desktop for about 8 years now - there were times where I would leave the screen on an image for 10 hours without a screen saver. Not even a trace of ghosting. The only display I've personally used where I've seen ghosting is the 24" iMac I use at work... and that thing will retain an image no matter what precautions I take to prevent it. It seems to be heat related more than anything.

4. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

I just ended up ordering a new one. I have to wait the other 3-4 weeks though. Either that or I just play luck with local Apple stores but I would rather just wait it out to ensure that the machine is fresh. Here's hoping that this one won't have issues as well :)

5. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

manufactured in june 25ich isnt fresh? lol

6. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine came in on July 2nd and according to the serial it was built around that time. I'd consider that fresh :p

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Have to agree, if you put anything under the microscope long enough your going to find fault somewhere...