rMBP ghosting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kgeier82, Apr 2, 2013.

1. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Ok so first off, I dont think this is an image retention issue.

I have a 15rmbp/2.6/16/512 from june 2012 via the refurb store (5 days ago). When I drag windows across the screen, I see what I would describe as a "cloud" effect in a few spots. Almost like the back of the front LCD cover is dirty or something. It cannot be seen when the window is still.

Samsung screen :/

Any ideas what this could be? Its located roughly in the middle 3rd of the screen going horizontal in blotches. I'm wondering if its back light bands, but these are LED lit I thought.

2. mykem macrumors regular

Did you try cleaning the screen. Maybe what you're seeing are smudges or dirt. Don't use Windex or any solvent- a slightly damp clean cloth- cotton ie. old tshirts would do the job.

3. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

4. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

Perhaps something in the refurb process didn't quite go according to plan. Can you take it to an Apple Store?

5. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I got a 15" MBPr refurb to try out over Easter, it had 4 cycles, it went well saw ghosting once other than that was great.
    I wouldn't buy one as a computer to keep though, i wouldn't want a machine to keep that was used for a week or more like we did. If apple allow it with their 14 day return policy then why not try before you buy. At least i didn't do it with a brand new one.

Anyway it worked ordered a new 2103 model.

6. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yea its been cleaned a few times. Think its a defect in the screen cover. It'll have to go back. Again. Maybe buy new

7. pedrofan macrumors 6502

Just take it to a Genius bar and they will exchange the display. Buying refurbished macs doesn't mean you have to keep them if they are deffective. You can return it also.

8. duckrabbit macrumors member

I know exactly the issue you're describing. My first machine had an LG display with ghosting. My second had a Samsung display with the issue you describe. It's like there are a bunch of subtle variations in the backlighting that aren't really noticeable unless you're moving a solid color across the screen. I got the display on the second machine replaced, but the replacement (also a Samsung) also has the problem. The genius had a hard time seeing what I was talking about with the first screen, so I didn't bother trying to get another replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if most or all Samsung screens have this issue. It's something that most people won't even notice and certainly less annoying than image retention. You could try getting a replacement, but unless I was just really unlucky, you run the risk of getting another screen with the same issue or an LG screen that has image retention.

9. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

May just live with it, but havent decided. I have until the 11th to initiate a return. Love the machine otherwise. This would be my third return.

1st was an LG with a giant spot on the screen as if someone had pushed on it.
    2nd was a Samsung that the keyboard died
    3rd one is this one.

May give up.

10. Robster3 macrumors 68000

All refurbs?

11. BlueHusky macrumors member

BlueHusky

Great justification for your actions. Its true, you didn't break the law.. But was it really right? I think intentions matter.

Besides its not green. Replacing everything u returned.

12. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes.