RMBP Graphics Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cap7ainclu7ch, Dec 4, 2015.

1. cap7ainclu7ch macrumors regular

Ive been having a problem for awhile where my 15" RMBP wakes up from sleep. The screen turns on to a white snowy static image for a few seconds before snapping back to the normal lock screen. Ive been trying to look it up and it seems like it could be a graphics problem (its a mid 2012 model). I ran the apple diagnostic test, but nothing shows up. Would the test that apple runs in the store be more comprehensive? From what Ive read if you laptop passes the test, they will not do the recall work on it.

Also for these laptops that have been recalled and fixed, do they just install the same components again? Has there been any documented changes that increase the longevity of them? I've already had a motherboard replaced on this, and my previous laptop (2009 MBP) also had catastrophic graphics failure (which I actually just dropped off today for a free fix after all this time).

I want to make sure that I address these issues now before my retina runs out of warranty in a few months. Any help would be appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think that's the case, but they also run some more detailed testing then what you have available.

Yes, there is no true solution, you get a refurb logic board and depending on the age of the computer, it may be a logic board that failed once and apple repaired it. Not an ideal situation but it does kick the can down the road further.